5 Nearby Spring Break Destinations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Don’t have a passport? Don’t want to fly? Have no fear, there are destinations near! While spring break locations in the Northeast aren’t usually the most popular, they’re certainly underrated! Lucky for you, Her Campus Emerson is here to round up the best spring break destinations that aren’t too far away.

1. Montreal

Experience a mini European getaway by jetting (or driving) off to Montreal! Montreal is the largest city in the province of French-speaking Quebec – plus it’s just a road trip away from Boston. Montreal is home to many landmarks, including the Notre-Dame Basilica, the Laurentian Mountains, and Plateau Mont-Royal. Not to mention, there’s tons to do; you can take part in fun festivals, go ice-skating, visit a museum, or go for a hike!

2. New York City

Want to stay close to home but still experience the excitement of a vacation? Head four or so hours away to the Big Apple! New York City is a nice balance of new scenery without being too far or too expensive. There is tons to do, from shows on Broadway to the many museums. And of course, you can’t leave without a visit to the famous Carnegie Deli!

3. Toronto

If you’re not interested in the old charm of Montreal but still want to get out of the country for a few days, consider paying Toronto a visit! Toronto is home to the Royal Conservatory of Music, the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Royal Ontario Museum, on top of many parks and other great landmarks. In the modern city of Toronto, you can split your vacation up with museum visits, park strolls, and aquarium and zoo days. Don’t forget to visit the city’s famous markets!

4. Vermont

If you’re looking for a snowy, fun filled break, you’re in luck! March is the tail end of snow season in New England, so catch the last flurries in Vermont! If you’re a big alpine or cross-country skier, consider heading to a mountain resort like Jay Peak or Stowe, with lots of trail options and great places to stay. Even if you’re not a skier or snowboarder, there are always options to snowshoe, visit the spa, or make a stop at the Ben and Jerry’s factory!

5. Boston

Lucky for us, we live in one of the best cities in the US – and it doesn’t hurt to spend a week exploring it! If you’re not motivated to leave the city, know that there’s plenty to do in Boston over spring break. Consider inviting a friend or two to spend the break playing tourist! Visit the MFA, the New England Aquarium, the Museum of Science and eat out at your favorite restaurants! While you may live here for most of the year, spring break is a perfect excuse to pass your time exploring the city.

While jetting off to Cancun may sound nice, it’s not always plausible for collegiettes. Getaways to far away destinations can be expensive, unsafe, and a big hassle. Lucky for us, there are destinations nearby that are perfect for a week’s vacation!

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Emerson contributor