This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s always fun to reminisce about high school. In some ways, it was a much simpler time than college and it could definitely be less stressful. While it’s great to look back on the good times you may have had in high school, there are definitely things we’re glad we’re never going to have to go back to again.

1. Waking up for an early start… Every. Single. Morning.

Sure, we’ve all had to deal with 8 AM classes in college, but it’s not the same thing as waking up early every morning for 7 straight hours of class. With college comes the beauty of creating your own schedule, which was not something we were allowed to do in high school.

2. The drama

Everything is such a huge deal in high school. People are immature and love to create drama over nothing. We all may have been guilty of this at some point, but high schoolers don’t just create drama, they seem to relish in it. Gossip was everyone’s favorite conversation at the lunch table, and while college can still have its fair share of drama, it’s nothing compared to high school.

3. The cafeteria

In other words, the jungle. Smelly, hot, crowded and messy, the cafeteria was simultaneously anxiety-producing and the best break you get all day. Having to maneuver the tables full of people you don’t want to sit with only to eat food that has either been sitting in your locker all day, or worse, actually came from your school cafeteria, makes college dining halls seem that much better.

4. The cliques

We all had them. The popular girls, the sports guys, the theater lovers. There may be groups at college, but they’re not nearly as exclusive or hard to break into as in high school. In high school, popularity was everything. In college, it’s about finding your own niche and just having a good time, despite what others may think.

5. Study hall

In other words, an hour out of our day that could be spent doing anything else. Study hall can seem like a nice reprieve in between classes, but why couldn’t we just end an hour earlier? And why did we have to spend our break staying seated quietly in a classroom? Study hall may have been okay if you had it with your friends, but otherwise it was just a waste of time.

6. Gym class

In other words, hell. Gym class was horrible in every way, from the moment you stepped foot in the locker room to change to when you hurried back in to change before your next class. Gym class was full of three different types of people—those way too into the game, those who didn’t care much but still participated, and those who tried to hide from any ball that came their way. No matter which one you were, gym class was still a low point of the day.

We’re not saying that there were no good aspects of high school, of course there were! But anytime you feel like you want to go back, just remember this list and you’ll quickly change your mind.

Emerson contributor