5 Ways To Relieve Your Back-to-School Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Second semester just began, and it is okay to feel nervous and anxious for the fresh start. New classes and a packed schedule can be overwhelming when you come back from break, but there is no reason to get stressed out! Here are 5 ways to relieve that back-to-school anxiety!

Write Down Your Schedule

When all your classes and meetings are scrambled in your mind, it can get overwhelming. To ease that, grab your planner or a calendar and write out your classes and weekly schedule. Take a moment to visualize what you will have to do, so you can plan your weeks accordingly. That way, you can decide when you want some “me” time and to take a few days off!

Plan “Me” Days

When you go over all you have to do, it can feel like you don’t have any free time for yourself. Look over that schedule and write in the days that you will reward yourself and take some time off. Even with a busy schedule, it’s okay to take a day or two to sleep in, relax, even go shopping for yourself. It will keep your mind in check, and make you feel less stressed.

Meditate

I find that I get back-to-school anxiety at night when I am laying in bed. The headspace app has really helped center me and practice releasing those thoughts so I can sleep. Meditation is a great way to center the mind and feel back in control. It takes 10 minutes and it’s great to add into your daily routine.

Plan a Cozy Night In

In the midst of back-to-school chaos, you want to enjoy the time you have left of break without having to worry all about school and homework! Plan a cozy night in! Grab some popcorn, put on a facemask, and watch a great movie! You can even have friends over to join you! It’s a great way to relax and take your mind off of the stress so you can enjoy the moment.

Talk it Out

This may seem obvious, but at times it is not. When school anxiety comes around, I always feel stuck in my own head. Taking a few minutes to talk it out with my mom or friends really helps put things into perspective and makes me realize that it is okay to feel that way, but to take everything one step at a time. Everyone gets anxious and stressed when a busy schedule is on its way, so it is helpful to talk it out and even get advice from friends and family!

School may get hectic, but remember to take time for yourself and relax! The most important thing is a healthy mind and body.

Emerson contributor