5 Problems You Might Encounter When Renting Your First Apartment and How to Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Growing up isn’t easy, especially when you move into your first apartment. How do deal with with everyday problems of living on your own is definitely something that takes time to learn, but it can be scary to feel like you have no idea what you’re doing. Here are a few common issues that may come up once you move in and what to do about them.

1. Something is Leaking.

Uh oh…why is the kitchen flooded? If something starts leaking, don’t immediately reach for a wrench unless you’re positive that you know how to fix the problem. It’s probably best to get out a bucket and call your landlord or the maintenance company that deals with your apartment. You can try clogging the hole or break temporarily with something like duct tape, but make sure whatever material you use is safe for the leak (when in doubt, call and ask the hardware store or a plumber).

2. You’re locked out.

You left your keys in your room, the door is locked and none of your roommates are around to let you in…so what do you do? First, don’t panic even if you’re in a hurry. If you have other windows or doors into your apartment, it might not be a bad idea to see if someone accidentally left them unlocked. If you can’t find an alternate way in, you can try to call your landlord, though they may not have the same sense of urgency that you do. A locksmith could also help you get in, but this is the most expensive option and may result in fees from your landlord. If it’s an absolute emergency, i.e. you left the stove on, and you’ve run out of other options, you can try calling the fire department, but you should only do this if it’s truly an emergency, as repair will probably be needed from forced entry. In the future, leave a spare key with a friend that lives nearby or with a trusted neighbor. You could also make a second copy and put it in a different spot in your bag.

3. You have pests.

Creepy crawlies are the worst! Even if you feel like freaking out, it’s very common to have a pest problem on occasion. As a temporary solution, the local grocery or hardware store normally has some inexpensive forms of pest control, including humane ones for animals like mice (keep in mind that some are not safe around pets). While these generally don’t totally fix the problem, they can help. Next, check your lease to see who is in charge of pest control. If it’s your landlord, get on the phone immediately and explain the problem. Check local laws to see to what degree your landlord is required to look for a solution. If it’s all on you, explore the best pest control options for your budget. It can get expensive to hire a professional, but the sooner you can do that the less likely your entire apartment will have to be fumigated.

4. It is way too hot or way too cold.

Dealing with a temperature problem in your apartment really depends on how temperature is regulated. If you have your own thermostat in your apartment and you think it’s broken, the first step should be to call your landlord. If your apartment building is controlled by an outside thermostat, you can try to regulate the temperature on your own. Open or close windows, or turn on fans or electric heaters. If it’s super hot and you have throw rugs over hardwood or tile floors, it can help to roll those up for the time being. If it’s far too cold, try blocking drafts and cracks with towels or duct tape. If all else fails, you can try to email or call your landlord about the issue. You may want to get some support from your neighbors as well.

5. You have noisy neighbors.

If you have noisy neighbors, tread carefully in how you resolve it; you don’t want to make enemies. The first time you are feeling a bit annoyed it may be best to just let it go. However if the issue persists, you can try knocking on their door and politely asking them if they could keep it down a bit more. If you find you’re doing this over and over again, you can file a noise complaint with the local police. If nothing else works, it may be time to pick up some earplugs.

These are only some of the varied issues you may come across when you begin living on your own. The most important thing to take away from this is to not be afraid to contact your landlord. And on the bright-side, there’s always the internet and more experienced adults to help out.

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor