This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We’re approaching that point in the semester where classes and clubs are in full swing. We’re busy doing what we love, which is awesome! It’s great to be busy because that means we’re dedicating a lot of time to what we love. Yet we often get in a spiraling vortex of work, work, work, and we need to remember to set aside time for relaxing. Here are some of my favorite and simple ways to relax!

Coloring Books

They don’t need to be the fancy adult ones, even though some claim they’re specifically made for relaxing the mind. Even a children’s coloring book will do the trick. Coloring takes your mind off of everything except for making sure to color inside the lines.

Writing/Planning

Writing creatively or just putting down some thoughts in a journal can be very freeing. It’s easy to start forgetting certain responsibilities if you don’t plan. A way to remain relaxed for an extended period of time is using a planner to keep track of your busy schedule. 

Seeing a Movie or Show

If you want to escape for a few hours, go see a movie at a nearby theater. Luckily, our school has Loews right around the corner. Similarly, there are so many student productions for small costs or even for free. It’s easy to lose yourself in a creative show. It can realign your thoughts and you’ll leave the theater feeling refreshed. 

Exercise

Endorphins make you happy, and you can’t be stressed if you’re happy. Even if it’s 15 jumping jacks, doing some exercise when you have a lot on your mind can immediately make you feel better. 

Sleeping

As college students, we love sleep, but we rarely get enough of it. Try testing out sleeping a half hour earlier than you usually go to bed, and waking up a half hour earlier. You’ll be shocked at how awake you feel during the day. When you can be fully alert during class, you’ll do better and feel better. 

Which is your favorite way to relax? 

Alexandra is a senior at Emerson College studying writing, literature, and publishing.
Emerson contributor