This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Want to spend less money this holiday season? Here are a few ideas to let your creative mind flow and create some cool, inexpensive, DIY presents for your friends and family!

1. Mint Sugar Scrub

An easy and simple recipe to show off your skills to a family member or friend in need of some relaxation!

You will need:

Oil of choice (e.g. coconut oil), sugar and an oil extract (peppermint extract would be perfect for this). You can also add a drop of food coloring (like red or green) to make it festive!

If you decide to use coconut oil, it comes in solid form so make sure to microwave it for approx. 15 seconds and add each ingredient accordingly until you get the texture you want.

Read more here.

2. Button Rings

Turn your old buttons into a fun accessory for the lovers of vintage fashion or quirky styles.

You will need:

An adjustable brass ring (blank), wire cutting pliers, metal bonding glue, a button.

Read more here.

3. Water Marble Design Mugs

Have plain, boring mugs that need a fun and cool design? Water marbling is easy and makes a perfect gift for any mug lover!

The process is pretty self explanatory (study picture above).

You will need:

Nail polish or paint, water, plain white mug.

4. Crayon Candles

Use all of your old crayons to create something different: a candle!

You will need:

Lots and lots of old crayons, a glass to pour the wax in, wicks, paper cups, popsicle sticks (for stirring) and a microwave to melt the crayons. An X-acto knife is recommended.

Instructions can be found here.

5. Gilded Edge Agate Coasters

Put your crafting skills to the test with these affordable but fancy looking coasters.

Read all about it here.

Freshman at Emerson College with a Writing, Literature and Publishing Major.
Emerson contributor