4 Things You Can Do to Make the End of the Semester Less Stressful

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Simultaneously extremely exciting and extremely stress-inducing – the end of the semester. Yes, we have finals coming up and probably a huge bundle of other papers and assignments. But we are also so close to a 4 month complete break from school (except for those taking summer classes, God help us). So what can help get us through these last few weeks as anxiety-free as possible? Here are my top four end-of-semester tips.

1. Make a To-Do List

Not necessarily a day-to-day to-do list, but a general one listing the assignments you have left to complete. I looked at the syllabus for each of my classes and wrote down all the big papers and assignments that I have due for the rest of the semester, including my final exams. It is so gratifying to be able to cross something off the list, and writing it all down makes everything a lot less scary than the cloud of due dates and essays you have in your mind right now. I even decorated mine and hung it up in my wall, so each day I see just exactly what I have left to do before summer break will finally be mine.

2. Relax

I know even the idea of relaxing may seem crazy at this point, but it’s necessary for your sanity. Spend a Saturday getting a mani-pedi (which doesn’t have to be expensive), go feed the ducks in the common (signs be darned), or plan a sushi date with your friends. Taking just an hour or two to do something completely not school related will help you focus later. And watching a movie on Netflix does not count as relaxing, you need to get out of your room. Which leads me to my next point…

3. Get Out of Your Room

I can’t work in the library, I find it distracting (the opposite of how you’re supposed to feel), so I tend to work in my room. But even if you do work in the library, you need a change of scenery every once and a while. Sitting in my room for hours doing the same thing makes me go absolutely crazy, and it makes me hate whatever I’m doing even more. Grab your laptop or textbook and go sit on a bench in the Boston Public Gardens, or go discover a new coffeeshop. Looking at your work in a new environment and with a fresh pair of eyes will hopefully give you new ideas and help you to see things that you glazed over before.

4. Watch a Movie/TV Show Before You Fall Asleep

I can’t fall asleep without the TV on; silence freaks me out. And every time I’m up at 4am writing a paper, the light at the end of the tunnel is that I have Desperate Housewives waiting for me. Even if it’s just a 20 minute episode of New Girl before you get some well needed rest, it’ll get you out of work mode and help you to sleep. If you go straight from furiously writing a paper to jumping into bed, you’ll only be able to think about that paper and what you could’ve done differently with more time.

Currently a sophomore film production student at Emerson College!
Emerson contributor