25 Shows To Watch On Netflix This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We all know that fall and winter are the best times of the year for sitting in and binge-watching TV shows, so here is a list of shows that I recommend based on my own love for them.  This is really just a list of all the shows I watched and really enjoyed, so you should watch them too! They span a lot of different genres so you will probably be able to find something you enjoy!

1.) Queer Eye

A recreation of Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, a new Fab Five takes to the streets of Atlanta to help straight men refine their wardrobes, grooming, diet, cultural pursuits, and home décor.  The show stars Bobby Berk (interior design), Karamo Brown (Culture), Tan France (Fashion), Antoni Porowski (Food), and Jonathan Van Ness (Grooming).  I really love this show because of how relatable the members of the Fab Five are, and also who doesn’t love a good transformation show?

2.) Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

This show is one of my favorites of all time, and I have honestly watched it more times than I can count.  The basic premise of the show is that a woman, Kimmy, is rescued from a doomsday cult located in a secret bunker.  The comedy then details her new life in the Big Apple. Along the way, Kimmy (Ellie Kemper) meets a series of friends–Titus (Tituss Burgess), Lilian (Carol Kane), and Jacqueline (Jane Krakowski).   

3.) Grace and Frankie

Another fantastic comedy that you must watch! Two women, Grace (Jane Fonda)  and Frankie (Lily Tomlin), find out that their husbands (played by Martin Sheen and Sam Waterston respectively) are more than just co-workers–they’re lovers.  The comedy details their life together coping with the divorces and marriage of their (ex) husbands.  They even start a business together!

4.) Schitt’s Creek

This show is obviously another one of my favorites, and it’s sure to make you laugh.  Check out this story about a rich family that suddenly finds themselves broke. Johnny Rose (Eugene Levy), his wife Moira (Catherine O’Hara), and their two kids, David (Dan Levy) and Alexis (Annie Murphy), move to a small town to regroup from losing all their worldly possessions.

5.) Crazy Ex-Girlfriend

A strange musical comedy that you have to watch.  This show documents Rebecca Bunch’s (Rachel Bloom) decision to give up a much deserved promotion in New York to chase love across the country to West Covina, CA in the form of Josh Chan (Vincent Rodriguez III) only to have her intentions blocked by Josh’s long-term girlfriend, Valencia (Gabrielle Ruiz). Once there, the show follows Rebecca as she sings her way through relationships with her friends Paula (Donna Lynne Champlin), Darryl (Pete Gardner), and Heather (Vella Lovell).

6.) Jane the Virgin

This quirky story is a mix of drama and comedy in an attempt to live in the world of Telenovelas.  The show follows Jane Villanueva (Gina Rodriguez) and her family (Xiomara, played by Andrea Navedo and Alba played by Ivonne Coll).  During a routine visit to the gynecologist, Jane becomes accidentally artificially inseminated.  Follow this story of twists and turns as Jane tries to navigate life with her boyfriend Michael (Brett Dier), her baby’s dad Rafael (Justin Baldoni) and his wife Petra (Yael Grobglas) and her newly reconciled father Rogelio (Jaime Camil).  This crazy story is full of love, and if you’re looking for a show that touches your heart while making you laugh, this is the one for you!

7.) The Good Place

A comedy that focuses on a life beyond death–what could be better than that?  The Good Place is a town where people who have led exceptionally good lives end up…well…except resident bad human Eleanor Shellstrop (Kristen Bell).  Follow Eleanor as she tries to hide in The Good Place from the architect Michael (Ted Danson) with the help of her newfound friends Chidi (William Jackson Harper), Tahani (Jameela Jamil), and Jason (Manny Jacinto).  

8.) Portlandia

This series is new to me, as I’ve only see a few episodes, but this sketch comedy show parodies what it’s like to live in Portland, Oregon.  It features actors such as Fred Armisen, Carrie Brownstein, Kyle MacLachlan, and Kumail Nanjiani. All of the sketches are loosely related, and all of them are funny, although, I think you have to have a specific sense of humor for it as well as a general understanding of modern day social issues that their sketches are playing on.

9.) A Series of Unfortunate Events

This show is a strange one as well.  The basic premise: Three orphans, Violet (Malina Weissman), Klaus (Louis Hynes), and Sunny (Presley Smith), attempt to uncover their family’s dark past while overcoming obstacles along the way, the biggest of which is Count Olaf (Neil Patrick Harris) and his band of criminals (Usman Ally, Jacqueline Robbins, Joyce Robbins, and Matty Cardarople).  All of which is narrated by Lemony Snicket (Patrick Warburton)–a third party who really hasn’t revealed why he is there quite yet.

10.) American Horror Story

While each season of American Horror Story stands alone, I’m recommending the series in general (although more specifically seasons 1, 3, and 5–as those are the ones I really enjoyed out of all of them).  This show stars actors such as Evan Peters, Sarah Paulson, Denis O’Hare, Kathy Bates, Jessica Lange, Taissa Farmiga, Lady Gaga, and Angela Bassett. Mark my words, I think that they are going to have one final season that somehow ties together all the seasons, I don’t know how yet, but I believe in its final season, it will happen.  In the meantime, once you get caught up, tune in to the current season, Apocalypse, airing on FX on Wednesdays at 10:00 PM.  

11.) Orange is the New Black

Follow Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling) as she is sentenced for a crime she committed over a decade ago while with one of her exes, Alex (Laura Prepon).  The show documents her life in a women’s prison, where she meets a lot of different characters, all from different backgrounds.  Alongside Taylor Schilling, this show stars Kate Mulgrew, Uzo Aduba, Danielle Brooks, Dascha Polanco, Selenis Leyva, Nick Sandow, Yael Stone, Taryn Manning, Adrienne C. Moore, Jackie Cruz, Natasha Lyonne, and Jessica Pimentel.

12.) Grey’s Anatomy

About to enter season 15, we all know that Grey’s Anatomy is one of my favorite shows, so of course, if you haven’t watched it, this is yet another recommendation from me to please watch Grey’s.  Also, it is a commitment and a half because of how long-running it is, so if you really want something to binge watch for a long time, this is for you.  The series documents a young doctor, Meredith (Ellen Pompeo), and her friends (a few of whom are played by the following: Justin Chambers, Chandra Wilson, James Pickens Jr., Kevin McKidd, Sandra Oh, Jesse Williams, Sarah Drew, Camilla Luddington, and Caterina Scorsone) over the course of their journey to become doctors.  The show takes some of them from their intern year, all the way up to their positions as attending surgeons.  This journey is filled with twists, turns, heartbreak, loss, happiness, celebrations, and so much more. I highly recommend!  Over the years, there have been many guest appearances, however, there are a few long-standing characters in the show still to this day.  And who could forget our love for, McDreamy (Patrick Dempsey) and McSteamy (Eric Dane)?  If you happen to be a fan of the show like me, check out this other article I wrote to see which character you are!  

13.) Gilmore Girls

If this isn’t a feel good show, I don’t know what is.  Gilmore Girls documents the relationship, and all its twist and turns, between a single mother, Lorelai (Lauren Graham), and her teenage daughter, Rory (Alexis Bledel).  The show documents their life together in small town Stars Hollow, CT, including their favorite spot to stop: Luke’s. It also documents their relationships with the people in the town, such as Rory’s best friend Lane (Keiko Agena), diner owner Luke (Scott Patterson), and grandparents Emily and Richard (Kelly Bishop and Edward Herrmann).  

14.) Gilmore Girls: A Year In The Life

Along the same premise, however, if you finished Gilmore Girls, this new edition features a grown-up Rory (Alexis Bledel) and her return to small town Stars Hollow.  It features a lot of our favorite characters (not telling you who because I don’t want to spoil anything) to give us updates on where they are now!  Not only that, but it has a twist ending you don’t want to miss!

15.) The Office

We’ve all seen it, and we’ll all see it again. Heck we’re talking about binge watching if you’re not rewatching The Office you’re doing it wrong.  For those of you who seriously haven’t seen The Office–you have to.  A documentary-style comedy that follows the office life of Dunder Mifflin employees under the management of Michael Scott (Steve Carell).  Watch as Dunder Mifflin employees live life in Scranton, PA, including the rivalry between Jim (John Krasinski) and Dwight (Rainn Wilson).  

18.) Parks and Recreation

Another classic binge watching show, so if you haven’t watched it, time to get on that.  Parks and Recreation is a lot like The Office in terms of style, however instead it focuses on small town Pawnee, IN and their local government (specifically the parks department if that wasn’t blindingly obvious).  Follow do-good, energetic Leslie Knope (Amy Poehler) and her local government officials in the parks department as they try to turn Pawnee into the town Leslie believes it to be.  The show also stars Nick Offerman (Ron), Aubrey Plaza (April), Chris Pratt (Andy), Aziz Ansari (Tom), Jim O’Heir (Jerry/Larry/Terry), Retta (Donna), Rashida Jones (Ann), Adam Scott (Ben), and Rob Lowe (Chris).  

17.) GLOW

This comedy is incredibly funny.  Bringing us back to the 1980’s, GLOW depicts the lives of women who are hired as wrestlers.  This comedy allows you to follow Ruth (Alison Brie) as she tries to break into the world of acting though her part.  In addition, follow her long-term friend turned enemy Debbie (Betty Gilpin) and how their friendship turned into the biggest rivalry of the wrestling community.  

18.) Love

Honestly, yet another great comedy (I’m sorry I really like comedies).  Follow Mickey (Gillian Jacobs) and aspiring writer Gus (Paul Rust) on their humiliating and taxing journey to love and commitment.  In addition, enjoy comic busts from Mickey’s roommate Bertie (Claudia O’Doherty), and all of Gus’s friends/frenemies.

19.) Dexter

If you like shows about murderers, this one’s for you! Dexter follows…well…Dexter (Michael C. Hall) a blood-spatter analyst for the Miami police where he works with his sister, Deb (Jennifer Carpenter).  However, Dexter has a secret: He’s a serial killer who targets other serial killers.  Watch Dexter face issues from relationships to family all while hiding his secret.

20.) Santa Clarita Diet

This comedy stars Drew Barrymore (Sheila) and Timothy Olyphant (Joel) who are realtors in Santa Clarita, CA living with their teenage daughter Abby (Liv Hewson).  There is one problem though: Sheila mysteriously died and turned into a zombie.  Follow this family and their next-door-neighbor’s son Eric (Skyler Gisondo) to discover what the heck is happening.  

21.) Black Mirror

One of my favorite shows, though for an entirely different reason.  Each episode of this anthology sheds light on different issues that consume world culture today.  The episodes focus on how modern technology can backfire and be used against us, and the episodes aim to twist and play with your mind.  If you’re looking for a show to mess with your head, this is it. Most episodes also star and entirely different cast, so instead of naming noteworthy actors, here are a few of my favorite episodes!

Season 1: “Fifteen Million Merits”

Season 2: “White Bear”

Season 3: “Nosedive” and “San Junipero”

Season 4: “Hang the DJ” and “Black Museum”

And if you want to watch an episode that freaked me out so badly I had to turn it off, tune in to:

Season 3: “Playtest”

22.) The End Of The F***ing World

James (Alex Lawther) and Alyssa (Jessica Barden) embark on a road trip to find her real dad. There is only one problem: James is pretty sure he is a psychopath and wants to murder Alyssa. Follow this pair on one of the most awkward road trips in existence, and see how their relationship develops over time.  I know I know, doe he kill her? You’ll just have to watch to find out.

23.) Stranger Things

Will (Noah Schnapp) goes missing in a small town, and his mom (Winona Ryder) can’t handle it.  Everyone is trying to get Will back, including the police chief (David Harbour), Will’s brother (Charlie Heaton), and his friends (Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo, and Caleb McLaughlin). Will’s friend Mike’s sister Nancy (Natalia Dyer) and her boyfriend Steve (Joe Keery) jump in as well, especially after the disappearance of Nancy’s best friend, Barb (Shannon Purser).  Around the same time Will disappears, a mysterious girl appears named Eleven (Millie Bobby Brown).  Watch how this group of small town kids work together in order to rescue their friends.  

24.) The 100

In a world after the apocalypse, a group of humans have found a home in space; only, their air supply is running low.  There is only one choice: see if they can return to Earth. Not wanting to risk their own lives, the council elect to send the juvenile delinquents aboard down to Earth.  Watch Clarke (Eliza Taylor), Bellamy (Bob Morley), Octavia (Marie Avgeropoulos), and their friends try to survive as the only humans on Earth…maybe.

25.) Bates Motel

Ever wonder how Norman Bates (Freddie Highmore) got to be Norman Bates?  Well here’s your chance! Watch the mind of Norman Bates unravel in this series as he battles with figuring out who he truly is with no help from his mother Norma (Vera Farmiga).  Additionally, meet Alex (Nestor Carbonell), who has a sneaking suspicion about Norman, in addition to dealing with issues of his own.  

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.