This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

If you’re anything like me, watching tv shows is your time to shut your brain off and catch up on everything from the day. This includes scrolling on instagram, twitter, texting, snapping, and even watching youtube videos. So when you’re in this mood to “watch” tv, but in reality just have some background noise that you can look up to occasionally, here’s a list of the perfect shows to have on. 

None of these shows have complex storylines, which is perfect for you to easily be able to tune in and out of. Don’t think that just because you don’t have to pay too much attention to these shows means that they’re bad. In fact, most of the shows on the list are revered in contemporary pop culture, such as show number one.

Friends

You’ve probably seen at least one episode or a meme or two about Friends, which makes it the perfect show to watch while on your phone. If you’ve seen a specific show before it makes it much easier to follow the plot while putting in minimal effort to understand what’s happening. With Friends being on Netflix, you have HOURS of content to catch up on.

The Office

Similar to Friends, The Office dominates modern pop culture and needs no proper introduction. Almost everyone has seen it before, which is why it is the ideal show to have on as background noise while you scroll away on your phone. Its lighthearted and lovable nature will definitely help you unwind from the day, and hearing Dwight’s antics will get you to smile. Once again, this show is also on Netflix, so get busy watching!

Parks and Recreation

Parks and Recreation is another dry-humor sitcom set in the workplace. It has simple plotlines that allow you to just sit back, zone out, and scroll away while listening. This show is also available to stream on Netflix.

That ‘70s Show

The American sitcom immersed in ‘70s culture, fashion, and mood focuses on an eclectic group of friends and their everyday life and adventures. This is the absolute perfect show to glance up to occasionally look at a young Ashton Kutcher. You don’t need to know what happened in the previous episodes to effortlessly understand this show, which makes it amazing to use as background noise while you catch up on your insta feed. It’s also on Netflix, so it’s easy to access.

New Girl

New Girl follows the adventures of an overly-enthusiastic woman moving into an apartment with three guys. The show centers on their friendships and love lives. You won’t need to pay much attention to follow their shenanigans, and, yet again, it’s on Netflix. 

Gilmore Girls

Seven seasons and an added brief revival of the show a decade later is available on Netflix for your background noise needs. Gilmore Girls revolves around Rory Gilmore growing up through high school and college. It illustrates her school life, love life, and relationship with her mom over the years.

Bob’s Burgers

If you’re more into animated comedy series, then Bob’s Burgers is for you. This show revolves around a family who runs a burger restaurant. All of the characters are weird and lovable in their own ways. Turn on Hulu to find this series.

Schitt’s Creek

Even though the Canadian sitcom is called Schitt’s Creek, the show itself is definitely NOT schitty. The show follows the lives of a family after they’ve lost all their money and are forced to move to a small town with interesting characters. 

Big Mouth

This animated Netflix original shows a gross, but more realistic, coming-of-age story. The show’s about middle school kids going through puberty, and it’s hilarious and weird and has pubes as characters—just watch it. Everytime you look up from your phone, you’ll definitely catch something quite interesting and bizarre.

Arrested Development

In this American sitcom that was picked up by Netflix, Michael Bluth steps up to run the family real estate business after his dad goes to jail. All while this happens, he constantly tries to fulfill the needs of his ridiculously spoiled family. This is yet another show out there for all you Netflix-users trying to find their next series to binge.

Letterkenny

For all you Hulu people out there, this is the perfect show for you to listen to while you unwind from the day. This sitcom about the problems of people’s lives in a rural town in Canada is strange to say the least. However, you still don’t need to know all of the information to comprehend the plot, which is what makes it perfect to use while you catch up on what’s trending on twitter.

The Voice

The Voice, as well as any other singing or talent show, is set up in small segments. This structure allows for you to easily tune in and out of what’s happening or just listen along to the music being sung. So, check out The Voice on Hulu.

Young and Hungry

If you’re wondering what Lily from Hannah Montana does now, tune in to this show. She plays an outgoing personal chef who is trying to navigate through her work, social, and love lives.

Cheers

The American sitcom created during the ‘80s and ‘90s still proves to be a feel-good show. It’s set in a bar in Boston and takes you along to see the dynamics of bartenders and their regulars. The sitcom structure makes it really easy to follow along while you barely pay attention. And, you can go visit it after watching!

Live PD

Last but not least, Live PD is great to have on in the background. It follows live police chases and activities, so there really is no plot that you need to understand. You can just glance up every now and then whenever someone shouts something weird.

While television is an incredible form of telling intricate and complex stories, sometimes you just need to turn your brain off for a little bit to unwind from the day. That is when the handy sitcom comes into play. Without even looking up from your phone screen you will be able to understand the storyline to these hilarious, feel-good shows.

Megan Doherty

Emerson '21

Journalism student at Emerson
Emerson contributor