Top Five Online Stores for Smart Sale Splurges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

In college, there’s no shame in being subconsciously attracted to the red flashing discount sign, advertising “600 percent of your first order.” And by ‘subconsciously attracted’ I’m really referring to the gluttonous guilt I feel when I don’t take advantage of a huge sale. You know what I’m talking about, right?

The feeling that creeps through you finger tips, as your online browsing during study breaks, let’s call it an itch. The itchiness plagues your fingers and fondles your common sense because who are you to turn down 65 percent off of your favorite clothing brand?

That’s right. How dare you, close out of, what could possibly be, the greatest saving in the history of great savings. All right, I’ll save the histrionics for a creative writing piece. Logically, the biggest savings come from skipping sales altogether; advice found in the most recent email from my father; I digress.

Sometimes, a sale splurge leaves you with bragging rights and other times you’re left with low quality, ill-fitting pieces doomed to a shelf life – on your shelf – of your college career. Lucky for you, I’ve made both types of sale splurges, more times than I’d willingly admit, and compiled my primary research into a ‘how- to guide’ on smart sale splurging.

I present my top five online store sales worth splurging:

1.  Nordstrom Rack

en.wikipedia.org

Yes. They have an online store. One of my all time favorite places to sale splurge, Nordstrom Rack is inundated with jaw-dropping deals on designer clothing for that low-low. Trolling outlet stores in search of hidden gems isn’t for everyone. Nordstrom Rack online makes it easy to find deals on designer goodies from the comfort of your twin XL.

Cons: Honestly, I’m having trouble thinking of any cons related to Nordstrom Rack online. A secure online checkout squashes any risk of identity theft and the clothes are quality material.

Price Range:  Frequent markdowns. $5-$500+

2.  ASOS

ashleighmoneysaver.co.uk

As the largest independent online fashion and beauty retailer in the UK, ASOS carries more than 850 brands and ships to over 140 countries. They sell a wide variety of products: from dresses to Inflatable Gold Swans. My favorite part about ASOS is the detailed search filters. You can narrow your search down to the dirty deetz, distinguishing between pencil dresses and shift dresses. 

Cons: Although there are rushed delivery options, shipping can take from 2-3 weeks longer, shipping to the US.

Price Range: Frequent sales. $15-$600

3. Zara

logos.wikia.com

A Spanish clothing and accessory store, Zara is famous for their semi-annual seasonal sales. The company has a unique business plan, attributing to its global success. Zara practices a zero advertising policy, which sets them apart from their competitors. They produce 11,000 distinct items annually, and if a design doesn’t sell out within one week then it is removed from stores. Fondly referred to as a “fashion imitator,” Zara offers customers statistically desirable fashion trends rather than pre-season trend prediction pieces. Personally, I save my Zara sale splurges for their two annual sales. During their summer and winter sale, prices are marked down up to 75 percent off!

Cons: Sizes run VERY small.

Price Range: $45-300

4.  Lulu’s

www.bigsavecoupon.com

Lulu’s was founded in 1996, by a mother-daughter team and has evolved into one of the web’s most successful online clothing stores. The store offers a huge selection of on-trend clothing for women, specifically, dresses. Typically, I go to Lulu’s when I know exactly what type of style I’m looking for because the search filter details searches down to the dress length. Offering a variety of brands, Lulu’s brings boutique shopping to the web, partnering with lesser-known brands like, Others Follow and well renowned brands, like Olive & Oak.

Cons: Lulu’s buys their stock in limited quantity and desired pieces go on backorder quickly. 

Price Range: $20-250+

5. CupShe

coupons-monster.com

As my newest addition to the list, Cupshe is my go-to for last minute Spring Break buys. Admittedly, the online site does give me acute rip-off vibes. However, with a healthy dose of comrade endorsement I built up the courage to follow through with my shopping bag filled with 6 bikini sets for under $60 – wild, right? The site offers unique bikini styles, as well as clothing. Here you’ll discover all of those trend-setting styles you see while swiping through Instagram’s explore page. I was hesitant to include Cupshe because I’m still a few days from receiving my first order; friends’ positive shopping experiences gave me the confidence to give them a shout-out!

Cons: Major email spam. Extended shipping delays.

Price Range: $5-100

Happy Shopping, collegiates!