Career

Setting Yourself Up for Success in Zoom Interviews

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As a junior in college on the hunt for a summer internship, these past few months have been a never-ending series of interview after interview. It’s safe to say by now I have mastered the Zoom interview. 

Interviews are scary enough as is. Adding the fact that most of them are conducted virtually now, creates a whole new element to prepare for. My first Zoom interview was frightening because I felt underprepared, underdressed and lacked confidence. 

After speaking with some of my friends who are also going through the same interview process, I was surprised to find that most of them felt the same way. It’s much harder to portray your best self over a screen. 

After joining close to 20 Zoom interviews in these past few months, I feel confident in the routine I have developed to portray my best professional self on screen. I was lucky enough to land my dream internship this past week, and I think this routine really helped me in those calls. 

My pre-interview tips:

Dress to impress.

I have found that I am my most confident self when I am dressed in a great outfit. I love wearing a colorful blazer during Zoom interviews, it makes me feel powerful and in charge. I usually pair this look with trousers and a basic tee. I also do my hair and makeup as if I was going to an in-person interview. Although the interviewer likely does not care about what shade of eyeshadow you’re wearing, putting effort into your appearance shows that you care about the call and you’ll be perceived in a professional manner.

Fuel your body.

Before a Zoom interview, I make sure I have a nutritious breakfast. This usually involves avocado toast, fruit and eggs. As a Starbucks addict, I like to treat myself to a venti iced coffee pre-call. This helps me remain energized and attentive during sometimes lengthy interviews. 

Practice your elevator pitch in the mirror.

Every job applicant needs an excellent elevator pitch, this is essentially your spoken resume and how you should answer the dreaded “tell me about yourself” question. I usually change up my elevator pitch for each interview, but it maintains the same overall message. Before my interviews, I like to say this in the mirror to not only practice what I am going to say but also build confidence while I am saying it.

Power pose.

As silly as it sounds, before Zoom interviews I power pose. Think of your favorite superhero and then strike their signature pose. Essentially a power pose is postures expressing friendliness, strength, and openness and by doing them, our minds will interpret those qualities as self-possessed. Studies have shown that striking a power pose builds confidence and self-esteem which is crucial to build before interviews.

Blare pump-up music.

A song that makes me feel on top of the world is “Friends” by Flume. This song is super upbeat and reminds me of spending time with my friends in the summertime. I recommend playing a song that makes you feel happy and confident before an interview to get you in the best headspace for your call.

Have your resume and portfolio ready.

Although you should never be reading from your screen in an interview, reviewing your resume and portfolio and having them pulled up before your call can be super beneficial. For me, having these documents pulled up is like a safety net. If I feel I might run out of things to talk about or forget the details of a certain project, it’s nice to have these easily accessible.

Demystify the process.

Perhaps the best advice I can give you going into a Zoom interview, is that the interviewer is probably just as nervous as you are. They are trying to get you to want to work for their company, just as you are trying to get hired. At the end of the day, the interviewer is just a person and is simply looking to learn more about why you would be a good fit for their company. 

Chloe Adams is a Campus Correspondent at Elon University entering her senior year.