you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career > Her20s

Meet Jaime Kellinger: Elon Girls Go Corporate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As college students, transitioning into the corporate world can seem pretty daunting. Thoughts about the uncertainty of finding an internship/job, being fully prepared for “big kid” responsibilities, etc. try to deceive us and the reality that we can in fact achieve our ultimate goals! Jaime Kellinger, a determined marketing and management student here at Elon, provides some reassuring insight about the realities of the corporate world and how to be best equipped to succeed.

Kellinger, a senior from Pennsylvania, started her first internship the summer after her sophomore year with a company called Phoenix Contact. She mentioned that she blindly applied for the position through Linkedin knowing that the internship was in her hometown. This is a reminder that any chance not taken is an opportunity missed.

“Be confident in yourself, work your network, and be able to sell yourself and your skills at any given moment. Opportunities will come when you least expect it!” Kellinger said.

Kellinger worked for the Public Relations department and lead the rebranding of the company’s employee newsletter. After her success in this position at the US Headquarters, Kellinger was offered a position the following summer at the company’s global headquarters in Blomberg, Germany.

“I studied abroad the fall before my international internship with Semester at Sea, so I was very used to being in new countries and cultures. Learning how to think globally and stay open-minded has definitely helped me professionally, and that has been something that Elon has stressed since our first year in the required Global Experience course” Kellinger admits.  

Kellinger in Germany for her summer ‘18 internship

Something that is very important to remember as we prepare to branch out of college life and into the workplace, is the fact that Elon has done, and will do, an incredible job of giving us the skill sets needed to succeed.

“Within the classroom, my business courses have done a great job preparing me for the corporate world. I took Business Communications my sophomore year and it taught me everything I know about how to effectively communicate within a professional setting, from emails to reports, as well as resume, Linkedin, and interview guidance,” Kellinger said.

Because of her wealth of experience in the “real world,” Kellinger has some advice for Elon girls as they consider their roles in the future:

“Say yes to EVERY opportunity, even if it’s a two hour meeting in a foreign language you don’t speak, or a tour around a manufacturing plant that you don’t care about! You will learn something or meet someone new and it will be worth it.”

Kellinger also notes that having leadership roles on campus prepared her to be confident and prepared for her roles in the workplace. As the former captain of Elon’s Club Lacrosse Team, Student Assistant in the Athletic Communications Office, and VP of Recruitment for Alpha Chi Omega, Jaime’s recommends each girl to reach beyond her comfort zone and learn how to be an effective leader.

As intimidating as it may seem to consider life after college, us girls need to be excited about what we have to offer! We are very lucky to be at a school like Elon that provides us with the tools to conquer what life throws at us. Use Jaime’s experience and advice to fuel your own confidence to achieve your goals outside the Elon bubble. You can do anything you set your mind to!

Emma Trimbur is studying Strategic Communications at Elon Univeristy. She is from Pittsburgh, PA and is thrilled about the opportunity to be writing for HerCampus. It is such an awesome experience to contribute to a platform with awesome girls from around the country!