This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elon chapter.

As someone who is heavily obsessed with her phone, it can get exhausting staring at a screen all day. Whether it’s aimlessly scrolling on different social media platforms or even texting, being in front of a screen is mentally draining. 

Picking up new hobbies and or small things in your everyday life can not only drastically improve your mood but can mentally challenge you to find a new side of yourself. Just taking small amounts of your day to prioritize time off of electronics can help you feel grounded and mentally healthier. Here are some of my favorite hobbies to pick up when you need I break from scrolling on my phone!

1. Find an Interesting Book to Read

Getting lost in a good book can give you a great brain break. The ability of a good book has the ability to take you away from reality. Being able to take a break from life and dive into an interesting book is such an amazing feeling. Whether its a romance novel or even based off of a critically acclaimed film, getting your hands on the pages instead of the screen can drastically change your mood.

1. Paint, Draw or Write

You don’t need to be an expert to have a creative mind. Being able to paint, draw or write is not only therapeutic, but it allows you to step outside of your comfort zone and try a new hobby. Grab an old sketchbook, notebook or even a small easel and let your imagination run wild. Scrapbook and write down ideas for future projects. Being able to set creative goals for yourself allows you more of a chance of repeating this behavior in the future. Allowing yourself to be creative can open you up for more opportunities and growth in the future.

1. Create a Self-Care Routine

Prioritizing yourself and your health first is always a must. Sometimes instead of sitting in front of your phone and scrolling, you can occupy your time putting yourself first. Make a DIY at-home face mask and paint your nails, relaxing the mind is the key to unwinding. It’s not only important to take care of yourself, but your mental health will thank you after spending time away from social media. Once you set this routine into place, it will become part of your daily life. 

Overall, spending time away from your phone and occupying yourself with other beneficial hobbies can overall improve your mental and physical health. Putting yourself first and taking a break from toxic social media is a great habit to break. Try to create new habits of putting yourself first and finding new ways to stay off of your phone. It’s so easy to get caught up in the nonsense of today that you forget to live in the present moment. 

Junior Writer for Her Campus at Elon University. Strategic communication and communication design major with a psychology minor.