This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

In college, there are ample ways to build your resume and experience levels. In my opinion, one of the best if not the very best is to do an internship. They are an excellent way to increase your professionalism and work-ready attitude. At your college, speak to career services if you need help finding an internship that is right for you. They will likely have a list of local internship sites that they have established connections with them. Career services may also recommend that you create a Linkedin profile. Read my list below to learn more.

1. Linkedin

Linkedin is a site that is used for students and working individuals who desire to make connections with people in different careers. It is a great way to expand your professional horizon. You have the opportunity to direct message other people. Take advantage of this if you connect with someone in a field of interest. You can connect with people all across the country and world. This is helpful if you would have a potential interest to move post-college. Linkedin allows you to upload your work experience, college awards and samples of your work. The more information you can provide, the stronger your profile page will be. For additional help, make an appointment with career services to enhance your profile page. They will be able to make useful suggestions to you.

2. Handshake

Handshake is another beneficial tool that will help you professionally. On handshake, you can search for internships. Your college or university may provide a list of approved companies that they would recommend you develop a working relationship with. My college actually provides updated lists of available internships via email. This can give you a starting point. If none of those sites or fields are of interest, you can delve into a realm of possible internships and part-time and full-time jobs. You can search by location, key words and whether you want an internship, part-time or full-time job. I would highly recommend this site if internships are of interest to you.

3. Academic Advisors

Your academic advisor is another excellent source to discuss potential internship locations. This will be especially helpful to you since they will have connections with internship sites that pertain to your major. When you meet with them to talk about upcoming scheduling for courses tap into the idea of possible internship opportunities. They may have some ideas for directly for you. As a side note, this will be more true if they know you on a professional and perhaps even personal level. Look into the internships they have recommended to you. Do your research before making a final decision.

4. How to prepare for your internship interview

Preparing for your interview is essential for several reasons. Firstly, it will instill you with a sense of confidence. The more time you spend preparing, the better you will feel. Doing this will enable you to appear more professional and prepared. Do you research and really have a strong grasp of the company, their mission and what they do. Ask questions and prepare those in advance. That way, you are less likely to forget what you are planning to ask. Dress professionally. It is always better to be overdressed than underdressed in circumstances like these. Plan lots of time to arrive early. This way, once you arrive, you will not be feeling flushed and rushed. Allot time to use the bathroom, fix yourself up etc. You will not regret this! Not to mention, your potential internship supervisor will recognize your interest in the position. My last advice is to smile, be yourself and present yourself in the best possible light. You can do this!

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.