Volunteer Opportunities in the Elizabethtown Area

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Community service is a great way to give back to your community and enrich your personal life. College is a great time to volunteer; you can easily get a group of friends together for a fun trip, and volunteering looks great on a resume. Many on-campus clubs regularly volunteer locally, particularly volunteer-oriented clubs like Circle K and Habitat for Humanity, but if you are not part of these groups, you can still find a place to volunteer in the area. Here are some local organizations that are always looking for people to help out!

Water Street Mission

Located in Lancaster, PA, the Water Street Mission has plenty of volunteering opportunities for those that want to give their time. The Water Street Mission provides food, shelter, and other services to homeless people living in the area. You can choose to volunteer here in a group or individually, so you can go alone or you can gather a group of friends or classmates together to join you. You can also choose where you volunteer at the mission, whether it be in food services, their access center, the shelter, the youth ministry or other locations that they have available.

YWCA Lancaster

The YWCA seeks to empower young women, eliminate racism and embrace diversity, and they require volunteers to do support their mission. There are many areas in which you can help out at the YWCA, including at events and in committees. Helping the YWCA with advocacy efforts will be personally rewarding and make you feel like you are making a difference.

Masonic Village

The Masonic Village in Elizabethtown is a retirement living community that offers plenty of volunteering opportunities throughout the year. There are many different ways you can volunteer at the Masonic Village, but they all involve helping and spending time with the residents. Volunteering here is a great way to make a difference in people’s lives, which, in turn, can enhance your life and give you new expertise. They also offer opportunities for both group and individual volunteers.

Elizabethtown Area School District

Schools are always looking for people to help out during the school day and at extracurricular activities, like clubs and tutoring. Working with and mentoring children is a great way to spend your time and will help you learn more than you realize. Being able to see the difference you make in kids’ lives is incredibly fulfilling and will make you want to go back regularly.

Big Brothers Big Sisters

Similar to volunteering at the schools, Big Brothers Big Sisters gives you the opportunity to mentor a young child. The goal of the organization is to find people that can help make a difference in a child’s life and being there for them. There are local offices in both Harrisburg and Lancaster, so they are easily accessible. Volunteers are also only needed a few times a month for a few hours at a time, so its easy to fit into any schedule. Big Brothers Big Sisters also has a strong need for Big Brothers, so men should definitely consider volunteering their time!

Humane Society of Harrisburg Area

The Humane Society shelters animals and needs people to help out all the time. The shelter needs people to help clean and take care of the animals, as well as office, groundskeeping and clinic help. If you’re an animal lover and want to make sure they are well taken care of, this is a great opportunity for you to help (and you get to play with and walk the animals sometimes)!  

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.