Take a Study Break with 5 Movies on Netflix That You May Have Overlooked

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

As we enter finals week, everyone is super stressed and busy. It feels like the work is never-ending, and, even though the end is in sight, it’s still really rough. One of the most important things to keep in mind during this chaotic time is to take care of yourself. Take breaks and practice good self-care, whatever that may mean for you. If you’re like me and like to destress with a good movie, then I have a few suggestions of great titles currently on Netflix that you’ve probably overlooked!

“Ex Machina” (2015)

Robots and artificial intelligence abound! “Ex Machina” follows the story of a young man that wins a retreat from his tech company, allowing him to spend a week at the CEO’s compound. Once he arrives, he discovers he is tasked with testing out a new artificial intelligence, which he finds shockingly real. While the movie is incredibly thought-provoking, it will get your mind off your studies and immerse you into this world. With astounding performances from Domhnall Gleeson, Oscar Isaac, and Alicia Vikander and beautiful cinematography and visual effects, “Ex Machina” is a can’t-miss movie.

“Green Room” (2015)

One of the last movies of the incomparable Anton Yelchin, “Green Room” is an intense feature about a punk band that gets trapped in the green room of a neo-Nazi club after witnessing something they weren’t supposed to see. The movie is insanely tense and riveting, but, be warned, there is a good bit of violence. The acting is outstanding, especially the performances of Yelchin as the band’s singer and Patrick Stewart as the psychotic club owner, and director Jeremy Saulnier continues to impress with his raw filmmaking style. While this movie may not be for the more squeamish, it is amazing and worth the watch.

“King Jack” (2015)

I’m a major fan of coming-of-age stories, which may be why I enjoy this movie so much, but “King Jack” is definitely a movie that should be watched. “King Jack” is about 15-year-old Jack as he deals with bullies, crushes, and having to watch his little cousin. Sounds pretty basic, but something about this movie makes it stand out. Maybe it’s the performances from the young cast, particularly that of Charlie Plummer as Jack. Maybe it’s the script, which never gets too sappy or cliché like most movies in the genre. Maybe it’s the beautiful imagery. Maybe it’s all of it. Whatever it is, though, it works, and I love it.

“Creep” (2014)

An ultra-clever found-footage horror film, “Creep” is about Aaron, a filmmaker who answers an online ad to film a stranger for the day. Once he arrives, though, he realizes he’s in for much more than he bargained for. Mark Duplass is captivating and steals the show as the titular creep, and the movie is worth watching for his performance alone. However, there’s also an indescribable mood throughout that only adds to the creepy script as well, which makes this movie a go-to for horror and thriller fans.

“Brick” (2005)

I was ecstatic when I saw that Netflix added “Brick” recently. One of the most extraordinarily unique films I’ve ever seen, “Brick” follows the story of teenage Brendan, played by a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt, as he tries to solve the murder of his ex-girlfriend. This neo-noir shows some amazing work from both Gordon-Levitt as the lead and Rian Johnson as his writing and directing debut and has a gritty look to it that just adds to the atmosphere of the film. This one is pretty difficult to describe; you just have to watch it.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.