Midterm Refresh: Re-Energize in Time for Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

The halfway mark is just around the corner… and so are all of those pesky deadlines. Although getting halfway through the semester should be a celebration to most can be a very stressful time for others. Instead of becoming overwhelmed with the madness around midterms, use this transition period as an opportunity to re-energize in time for finals.

1. Take a Look at Your GPA & Get Ready to Move Forward

Midterms is the perfect opportunity to check grades and see how you’re doing. Don’t be discouraged if your grades aren’t where you’d like them – there are plenty of methods you can try to help improve your grades.

2. Talk to Your Professors

If you are having trouble with a specific course, try talking directly with your professor. He or she may be able to provide insight into the areas you’re struggling with as well as insight into how students typically perform throughout the course. The topics you are struggling with may be the same topics that have challenged other students in the past. Seeking input from your professor can either provide you with the help you need or give you the confidence needed to push through the second half of the semester.

3. Seek Peer Tutors

If you’re not getting enough assistance in class, seek out peer tutors. Ask your professors for tutor recommendations, check out learning services, or form a study group with classmates. You can often find tutors designated for a particular course, or writing tutors to help you get through a specific assignment. If finding a tutor proves to be difficult, try talking with other students in your class to set up study times prior to upcoming exams. Studying with classmates can help you better understand the material and ensure you cover information you may have missed otherwise.

4. Set Attainable Goals for Yourself

Starting the semester off with the goal of getting A’s across all of your courses by the end of the semester is a good start, but this overarching goal can be intimidating without mapping out the steps in between. Instead of focusing on the end of the semester, set smaller, more attainable goals for yourself on a weekly basis. Potential goals for yourself could include:

• Write two pages of a final paper each week

• Study for 30 minutes per day leading up to the next exam

• Study with a tutor for an hour per week

• Complete a draft one week in advance and seek input from your professor

5. Take a Break & Reward Yourself (once in a while)

In a sea of deadlines, a little stress can provide just the right amount of pressure to help you work more efficiently. On the other hand, a lot of stress can be counterproductive. While working to meet all of your deadlines and spend enough time prepping for the next big exam, be sure to set aside enough time to maintain your mental and emotional health. Take study breaks intermittently throughout your study exams and set rewards for yourself as you reach your goals. Your goals may include:

• One episode of your favorite Netflix series for every 3 hours of studying and work

• An evening hanging out with friends

• A break from your fitness routine

• Your favorite source of caffeine

6. Work Ahead… It is Possible

Although you may feel overwhelmed now, the deadlines are not going away. After the midterm rush subsides, don’t fall back into your routine of procrastination. Work ahead on your assignments in preparation for finals week. It’s easy to fall into your next Netflix series binge, but gradually working on long-term projects and keeping up with your study habits will help you get through finals later.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.
Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.