Make Yourself At Home: Decorating Your Dorm

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

When you first get to your dorm room, the first thing you generally notice – other than how small it is – is that it’s so empty. The walls and furniture are painfully plain and it may seem impossible to imagine how you can make it look any better. However, it’s actually super easy to turn your dorm into a home away from home for the next couple of months by taking a little bit of time to decorate and make the space your own.

Cover Those Boring Walls

The most striking thing about most dorm rooms are the boring, white brick walls that make the place seem smaller and less inviting. Covering up those dull walls is really simple and can be done in a ton of different ways. Hanging pictures of family and friends is a great way to make you feel less homesick and to add a little color to your walls. A multi-photo frame, a cork board or a string with clips or clothes pins are fun and cheap ways to hang photos of loved ones. An interesting tapestry or posters with your favorite designs or pictures on them. Posters with your favorite band, television show or movies on it could also be great conversation starters with floormates that happen to walk past! String lights are another popular option to help brighten your dorm room; they’re also great for those times when you need some light but not the bright fluorescent lights that come in the room. Finally, hanging artwork or motivational quotes on canvas is another more personal touch you can add to your room because you could buy the supplies and make it yourself!

Deck Out Your Bed

Since dorms are often so small, your bed itself will likely become a statement piece in the décor of your room. Obviously, a comforter and pillows are necessary for the bed – and it’s likely that you already have those – but throwing on some other things can help up the ante in terms of decoration and comfort. Throw pillows can be easy to find in stores and online and add some more color to your bed, while also helping create a more comfortable and cozy atmosphere. Teddy bears and other stuffed animals can have a similar effect, especially if they were a gift or other special item. Finally, an extra throw blanket similarly add more color and comfort to your chilly dorm. It is possible to go overboard with some of these things, though; just remember, you also have to fit on the bed comfortably!

Pick a Color Scheme (and Stick to It!)

Sometimes, a lot of cute, fun decorations together just don’t work the way you think they will because nothing matches. Picking out a color scheme for all of your dorm décor is the easiest way to ensure it all matches and that your room doesn’t look too chaotic. That doesn’t mean that everything in your dorm has to be the same color, but you should stick to a few main colors for your bedding, any artwork or wall décor and any other items you buy for your dorm, even the little things like a trash can, pencil holders for your desk, extra chairs and any other furniture or decorations you buy for your dorm. This will just ensure that your whole room is tied together and will elevate every decorative item you have.

Allison Hauser

Elizabethtown '19

Allison is a senior communications major with a film studies minor at Elizabethtown College.
Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.