Style

Get A Makeover Based On Your Zodiac Sign

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

What better way to spend the summer than getting a makeover? Revamp your wardrobe with new pieces so you’re all set and pumped to begin the next school year (or first year of adult life) right! I didn’t know this was possible until one of my favorite YouTubers Safiya Nygaard posted a video where she dressed according to her zodiac sign for a week. For the video, Safiya, a cancer, pulled recommendations from a number of sources about what cancers should wear. Each source drew from the characteristic traits of cancers to choose the article of clothing, fabric, color, and accessories. From head to toe, she followed the recommendations for tops, shoes, pants, scarves, lipstick, coats, jewelry, and purses. What I loved about the video is that Safiya told us what she already owned out of the outfits she wore, so we knew how on point the recommendation was if it was according to her personality, and she spoke to an astrologer and psychic reader to get her opinion on this. The astrologist thought it wasn’t too possible to estimate someone’s fashion sense based on just their astrology, so for this article, we’re focusing on how the recommendations for your zodiac’s fashion influence your makeover. Find your sign down below, and I’ll pull from sources to tell you what makeover you should give yourself this summer!

Aquarius

You’re wearing the most unique outfit in the room, and on purpose. Don’t be afraid of shopping from brands that you’ve never heard of, wearing a vintage look, DIYing something, or buying something that’s just totally different from anything you’ve ever seen (TheLala). For your makeover, play with color and pattern. How? Any way you want. Pair a pattern with a color that isn’t in the pattern, wear the same print twice in two different colors, and pair a textured piece with a monocolored look (Stitch Fix). The best way to follow through with your makeover is by using the Marie Kondo method of cleaning when putting on an outfit. If it brings you joy, you’re doing it right. If you’re wearing it just because it’s trending, don’t do it (PopSugar).

Pisces

Pisces wear romantic clothes, meaning soft and feminine clothing. For your makeover, you’re not allowed to wear anything over the top, and no statement pieces. Why? Because people gravitate towards you, not because of your clothes, because you yourself are eye-catching enough, so there’s no need to be over the top (Stitch Fix). This means you should buy something soft to the touch or with a feminine print, like flowers or lace (TheLala). For the shape, wear easy-breezy and flowing silhouettes, they were made for you (Stitch Fix). Styles that work for this include loose pants, maxi skirts, silk shirts, velvet sweaters, polar fleece sweatshirts (PopSugar). Opt out of distracting patterns for earth tones, and try out the occasional monocolored look (Stitch Fix).

Aries

Because aries are cool and confident, your clothes should be freeing and without fuss. Don’t let your clothes limit you! Your makeover consists of buying more loungewear, not form fitting clothes, so you to move freely (TheLala). Because aries can go from 0 to 100 so quickly, you can take a look from day to night with ease. To make this easier, stick to basics that can easily be played up with accessories or lipstick (Stitch Fix). Loungewear can go a long way, so to make a “basic” outfit pop try mixing and matching colors and patterns, and layering up can also add so much to an outfit. The perfect aries outfit is loose and layered, and features more than one pattern with multiple (matching) colors (PopSugar).

Taurus

Because taurus don’t tend to want to be too flashy, they’re cited as loving the “classics” of fashion, white button downs, blue jeans, and simple things. No bold prints or crazy statements, that’s the taurus way (TheLala). Because you rely on pieces that “stand the test of time”, for your makeover, pick up statement pieces. It’s time your daily look becomes a fashion statement, just by playing with form and small details (Stitch Fix). It’s super easy. You can live in the same pants, but pair them with a bomb neon pair of shoes. Play around with neon sweaters/coats, wild sneakers, and patterned tops. You can make a statement without being uncomfortable! (PopSugar).

Gemini

Geminis are experimental, wearing jeans one day then heels the next. You just can’t pin a gemini down, and their fashion sense doesn’t really have one title to it (PopSugar). The best makeover for you isn’t to just buy colors and patterns (you’ve already done that), but to buy clothes with a whole new shape to them. This means the volume, length, size, silhouette and proportion of different pieces. You can do this by shopping in the opposite sex’s section, buying from a foreign designer, or DIYing something (Stitch Fix). Take inspiration from Ariana Grande, wearing a huge jacket/sweatshirt and thigh highs with nothing else, and always pair your loud piece with basic clothing to fill in the rest of your outfit. This will let that one thing just pop (TheLala).

Cancer

Cancers crave that double-take from others they pass because it affects their mood (TheLala).  You’re often overdressed because of your femininity, which doesn’t mean dresses, it also means classic coats and structured pants. So a great way to give a cancer a makeover is to wear move relaxed clothes AKA become a pisces. (Stitch Fix). You can easily do this by wearing basic clothes with unique details, like dresses with cutouts and slits, or leggings paired with platform shoes (TheLala). If you’re not into platform shoes, you can also dress down the femininity by mixing your favorite pieces with new patterns or bright colors (PopSugar). The ideal cancer outfit would be a feminine item, like a blouse or dress, then something bold like patterned leggings or snakeskin shoes, and matching jewelry and purse (Vogue).

Leo

You think out of the box in your fashion, so for your makeover: purchase a clothing item you’ve never seen done before, or wouldn’t have thought of until you saw it. Use styling with accessories to make this crazy garment just perfect (TheLala). Because leos are unafraid of anything, bright colors are meant for you. Let your bravery choose these new clothes for you, leos (Stitch Fix). If you’re not into spending $180 on a top you think is kind of strange looking, then opt for statement accessories, wild patterns, textures, and skin-showing pieces. Yeah that’s right leos, part of your makeover is to be proud of working that sex appeal you know you can rock (PopSugar).

Virgo

Your fashion sense is for wearing, not showing. You’re comfortable, toned down, and not worried about being overly put-together (TheLala). The easiest way to give a virgo a makeover is by incorporating red into your fashion, because this power color just gives confidence. The extra boot allows you to wear your clothes in a way that lets you show them off without the extra effort (Stitch Fix). If you feel like going all the way for your makeover, purchase a few high-quality items, like silk tops or nice bottoms, to enjoy the feel of the nicer quality, and to show it off too (TheLala). A few examples are summery matching sets, feminine silhouettes (cinched at the waist), and rich vintage (think Audrey Hepburn) (PopSugar).

Libra

Libras love balance, which means they love to incorporate clashing pieces into the same cohesive look. High and low fashion, bright and soft colors, and sexy and modest silhouettes. For your makeover, let items “clash” in the same outfit, but style them so they work (TheLala). Pair dresses with blazers, dresses with pants, button downs with leather pants, and skirts with sneakers (PopSugar). A great way to push yourself into this makeover is by venturing into a style you’ve never tried before, for example, a gothic style. Buy items with studs, metallic trims, and leather. Remember to balance all that with lightness, like lace underneath or floral jewelry (Stitch Fix).

Scorpio

You know what you like, and you don’t change your mind. (TheLala). Scorpios are just the kind of people to buy the 5 pairs of the same jeans (PopSugar). But since scorpios wear kind of the same outfit in different colors, they’re considered generally put together 24/7, because they have their favorite clothing items always close by. So there’s no need to dress it up or make statements with color or pattern (Stitch Fix). For your makeover, you should experiment with new accessories. This means coats, sweaters, sweatshirts, shoes, purses, backpacks, hair pieces, bandanas, scarves, belts, hats, and jewelry. You’ll be surprised how much you can change your closet with just new accessories, and stores like Hot Topic and Forever 21 have a specific style of accessories waiting for you (PopSugar).

Sagitarius

You love travelling, so clothes that you can throw into a suitcase are ideal, like loose items that don’t wrinkle (TheLala). Because the sagitarius style is polished, yet unfussy, it’s super easy to make over your wardrobe by introducing new silhouettes that emphasize the body’s shape more (Stitch Fix). But let’s take the makeover a step farther than some skin-tight clothes. Your sign gravitates towards color and pattern more than dull and plain clothes (PopSugar). For your makeover, you’re going to break the rules for patterns and colors. I won’t tell you to wear two different patterns because that’s a terrible idea, but wear a pattern mixed with a texture (like a floral shirt and fuzzy sweater). Also, color blocking, AKA wearing opposite colors in the same outfit, make your whole outfit pop. (Astrology Club).

Capricorn

Capricorns have a certain elegance and seriousness to their fashion sense, but that doesn’t always mean you’re ready to step into a business meeting (TheLala). You love to be dressed up, but if it’s not comfortable, you’re not wearing it (PopSugar). Your makeover consists of using basic clothing to your advantage. This means jeans, t-shirts, button-downs, sneakers, and leggings. Use your capricorn styling ways to twist it up with a neon pair of shoes or adding on-trend pieces, like a statement coat or necklace (Stitch Fix). Another component of your makeover is to challenge yourself to shop at a thrift store instead of high-end stores. Pick up some pieces from a decade ago and find a way to bring the elegance back into it  (TheLala).

Jennifer Davenport

Elizabethtown '21

Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus club at Elizabethtown College. Jennifer is part of the Class of 2021, and she's a middle level English education major, with a creative writing minor. Her hobbies include volunteering, watching YouTube for way too many hours, and posting memes on her Instagram. She was raised in New Jersey, lives in New York, and goes to college in Pennsylvania, so she's ruined 3 of America's 50 states. She's an advocate for mental health, LGBT+ rights, and educational reform.