This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

Amidst your busy college schedule full of classes, assignments, and campus activities, you’ll inevitably find yourself drowning in boredom on a rainy night in. If you find yourself with nothing to do, check out these dorm room activities to end your boredom and make some new friends, too!

1. Game Night

Nothing beats a good game night! Invite your friends and hallmates over and encourage them to bring along their favorite games. Stick to traditional board games or battle it out on Mario Kart. If the weather is nice, you can even head outside for frisbee, cornhole and other lawn games.

2. Movie Night

Movie nights are perfect for when the weather is bad. You may enjoy them so much that you start a weekly tradition. Relive your High School Musical memories, gush over the Twilight Saga or host a horror night for Halloween. If choosing a theme isn’t your thing, put suggestions in a bowl and pick at random, or find inspiration on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon.

3. Dorm Room Bake-Off

With just a fridge, a microwave and some creativity (and the internet of course), you can come up with plenty of innovative and tasty treats. Challenge your friends and hallmates to cook up a tasty treat, and award the best chef with a prize. Be sure to have extra snacks in case your recipes turn out to be disasters.

4. Hall Potluck Dinner

If microwave cooking isn’t your thing, use the community kitchen to make your favorite dishes. Have each of your friends and hallmates bring their own dish and have your own makeshift Thanksgiving-esque dinner! If cooking proves to be too much, have everyone bring their favorite store bought snack, or bring new foods to share with the group and try for the first time.

5. DIY Night

DIY nights are the perfect bonding activity, and, at the end you’ll end up with your own craft, decor, or keepsake. Grab some friends and pick a DIY activity for the night. Paint your own canvas or crochet scarves for the fall and winter weather. Choose seasonal crafting projects and make it a tradition!

6. Group Study Session

Okay, so studying may not be the most exciting way to spend your time, but it’s always better with friends. If one of your classes is getting you down, grab your classmates and host a study session. Create your own review games or use good, old-fashioned flashcards.

7. Dorm Yoga, Zumba, or Fitness Activity

If fitness is your thing, host your own BYOM (bring your own mat) yoga session. Depending on the number of attendees, you may need to move your class to the lounge for adequate stretching space. Look up yoga moves online or make things up as you go. If yoga isn’t your thing, try Zumba, kickboxing, or other fitness activities.

8. Karaoke Night

So… hosting a karaoke night might not be the best suggestion as you may disrupt your neighbors. Just make sure they’re invited to your karaoke night, or host it in a communal space where you won’t bother others with the noise. No need to rent a karaoke machine. Sing it loud and sing it proud!

9. Start a Podcast

Podcasts are becoming more and more popular and you can create one for literally any subject. Create a podcast for fun or to advance your professional goals. Create a theme or talk about whatever’s on your mind on a give day. No matter what your passions or future career goals are, hosting a podcast can help you rise up as a leader in the industry.

10. Host a Book Club

Grab some friends, choose a book, and discuss it! You can create chapter deadlines, or wait until you’re all finished with the book to host the discussion.

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.
Rebecca Easton

Elizabethtown '19

Rebecca Easton is a senior at Elizabethtown College in Pennsylvania. She is currently studying English with a concentration in professional writing, and is pursuing a double minor in communications and business administration. Her primary interests in these fields include social media marketing, web writing and creative writing. She currently works for the Elizabethtown College Center for Student Success as a writing tutor, for Admissions as a tour guide and for the Office of Marketing and Communications. In her spare time, Rebecca enjoys writing, singing, and reading.