12 Ways to Celebrate Your Birthday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Elizabethtown chapter.

It’s your birthday! Here are just a few ways to celebrate your big day:

1. Check for birthday offers and discounts at restaurants in the area

Free food is the best food! Check out your favorite restaurants around campus to see if they have any special birthday offers, like a free appetizer or dessert. If you’re of legal drinking age, many restaurants also offer drink specials on the house for birthday beauties!

2. Have a potluck party with friends

Let’s face it, we’re all broke college kids who can’t always afford the most glamorous of birthday celebrations. Instead of heading out to dinner, invite friends to bring along their favorite snacks and have a birthday buffet! You’ll have a blast hanging out with friends, enjoying all of your favorite foods and saving money.

3. Treat yourself

It’s your day to relax and enjoy your favorite things. Indulge in the things that improve your mood and melt the stress away. Go shopping, head out for a hike, or get the full treatment at the salon. Take a break from your crowded college schedule and re-energize.

4. Get a gourmet dessert

Satisfy your sweet tooth with a special treat from your favorite bakery! You’ve probably been eyeing up that new cupcake flavor for months, and now it’s time to splurge. Get a large cake to share with your friends, or have everyone order a personal sized dessert so you can mix and match flavors.

5. Head to an attraction in the area

Be a tourist and travel to nearby attractions. Head to an amusement park, visit museums and explore your surroundings. Check out local tourism sites to find out what everyone is doing in the area.

6. Embrace your inner artist

Head to a painting or pottery lesson and embrace your artistic side as you complete a DIY project (with guidance from professionals of course). If you’re of legal drinking age, consider heading to a wine and paint night with friends.

7. Have a throwback birthday party

Unleash your inner child and head to where all the fun happens. Grab your friends and go laser tagging, indoor skydiving, go-karting, roller skating and more. Rekindle the warm and fuzzy feelings you used to enjoy while hosting themed birthday parties as a child.

8. Head home to celebrate with your family

Being at college is great, but your birthday is the perfect time to plan a trip home to celebrate with family. Engage in your favorite birthday traditions, catch up with family members and visit old friends.

9. Throw a game night

Host a poker tournament, challenge your friends in video games or stick to classic board games. Snacks and refreshments are a must.

10. Go for a girls’ night out

Nothing’s better than grabbing the girls and going to do your favorite things. Head to your favorite restaurant or club and enjoy eating and dancing the night away.

11. Travel for a weekend getaway

If you’re looking for more extravagant birthday, plan a weekend trip! Depending on the time of year and location of your college, consider heading to New York City, the beach or a camping retreat in the wilderness.

12. Host a movie night

Spend the night in watching all of your favorite movies. Create a theme like Disney or superhero movies, or just see where Netflix takes you. If you’re having trouble deciding what to watch, have your friends each choose a movie favorite, and then pick randomly from the group.

However you decide to celebrate, take some time to relax and do the things you enjoy with friends. What’s your favorite way to celebrate your birthday on campus?

Kristen Wade

Elizabethtown '19

Kristen Wade is a senior Communications major with a concentration in PR and a minor in Graphic Design at Elizabethtown College. Kristen loves hiking, shopping, and baking. After graduation, Kristen hopes to work in digital marketing.