What We Wish We Knew When We Were Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

Don’t do something just because it’s what you “should” do it since you’re in college now

Just because you’re in college and the hook up lifestyle is pressured doesn’t mean you have to!!! If you know you are just not a hookup kind of person then DONT, literally no one who is worth your time cares about body count or when you lost your virginity or how many strangers you make out with every weekend. Live ya life boo. Do what you are comfortable with and nothing more.

Trust your gut when you feel that something is off

Just because you’re a little less confident in yourself because you’re in a new environment doesn’t mean that you’ve lost all common sense!! If someone is giving off bad vibes- don’t hang out with them. If something feels sketchy or doesn’t feel safe, get out of that situation as soon as you safely can. Being alone, safe, and comfortable is much better than being around a bunch of people who make you feel unsafe.

Forgive yourself for making “freshman mistakes”

I remember getting to campus and thinking “I’m not going to make ANY mistakes that most freshman do”. Guess what? I made them all and then some. They’re called freshman mistakes for a reason, you haven’t lived your college life before so of course you’re going to mess up. And that’s ok!! Forgive yourself for making those mistakes. Majority of people probably made them when they were freshman too. You’re not messing up.

You’re going to make bad decisions, be prepared to deal with the consequences

It’s only natural that you’re going to make a few bad decisions. The average college freshmen is 18 years old, and I can promise you, you don’t know as much as you think you do. You’re going to make a bad call, and maybe you hurt a friend of ruin a relationship. You need to be ready to deal with the consequences of that decision. Take ownership when you make a mistake, and it will make you a better person.

You can actually maintain your high school friendships

I remember going into college everyone told me repeatedly that I wouldn’t stay friends with the same people I had been friends with in high school. While I’m not friends with every single person I went to high school with anymore, my core group of friends and I still stay in touch. In fact, I was a bridesmaid in one their weddings this summer. Don’t let people tell you that it’s impossible. You make time for the things that matter to you.

Hi! I'm Rachel, a freshman intended nursing major at ECU! Am I the most elequent speaker? Not really. Do I have my life together at all times? Aboslutely not. But in my 18 years on this planet, I have figured out a couple things. Hopefully I can make your day a little bit brighter after reading my stuff!