books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Exams as told by Captain Jack Sparrow

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at ECU chapter.

We all know that dreaded feeling when an e-x-a-m is just around the corner. The word itself is strong enough to induce a gut wrenching, stressful feeling. Sometimes it can feel like tests are being thrown at us right and left and our professors are raising the “No Quarter” flag. However, it’s important to remember that none of us here at ECU are in this alone. We’re all pirates and we’re all going to make it through whatever exams come our way…even if that means going through a great deal of struggle like Captain Jack Sparrow himself to finally get to where we want to be. 

How you look as you’re sitting in class learning the material that will be on the next exam

When you find out that “next exam” is actually next week

And you immediately look around the room to see if everyone is as unprepared as you are 

But you figure you’re alright because the professor said he’s gonna send out a study guide

But then the study guide actually turns out to be 75 questions and you can’t answer a single one

And then you go into panic mode

When you decide it’s time to open the textbook

But the textbook seems like it’s written in a foreign language

And you wonder if it’s too late to drop the class

And you remember how you didn’t do any of the extra credit opportunities 

When you’re trying to study but it seems like everyone on planet Earth is trying to distract you 

When it’s the day before the test and you see your textbook across the room and decide to give it another go

And you start working on that dreaded study guide again 

But you wish you could just run away from it all

When you finally finish the study guide and realize you learned a thing or two in the process

Then your cocky self texts all your friends to brag and they ask you to send it to them

When you feel so confident going into the exam

And you feel like you’re gonna leave the exam like 

When someone who never comes to class is sitting in your seat

When your teacher starts passing out the exam and they remind you that they don’t drop your lowest test score and there won’t be a curve  

And then the first question on the test is something you don’t understand

When you’re done with the test and all you want to do is go home

When you see you have a notification on Blackboard

And you got a grade you’re happy with

But you have to remember all the material because the final is cumulative

But after all…

Writing. Living. Loving. Laughing. Eating.