etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Springing Back from Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

The return to school after spring break is probably the most dreaded part of the school year. And when you got to a school with its own waterfront, beach, and too many places to enjoy the sun it becomes a real temptation to ditch class and catch some rays. Spring break gives you that little taste of summer freedom with the crushing reality of real life back on campus. I mean, how many of you actually did those 30 assignments over the break? Not me! I have come up with a few tricks that help me get back into the swing of things- check them out!

Unpack as soon as you get back to campus: I know, I know. This seems like a bit much to ask right off the bat, especially if you’re like me and pack 30 extra outfits “just in case”.  But sorting the dirty and the clean, putting everything back in its proper drawers, and sliding that suitcase back under your bed will be such a big relief. The next morning will be so much easier, because everything is in its proper place and not still a rumpled mess in your bag.

Do your assignments in the order they are due: Okay, who actually does all of their homework over the break? Exactly- nobody. That means you have it all to do in one or two nights, right? Try to do your homework in the order each assignment is due. Have a paper do at 8 am? Do that first, then your math problems that are due at 11, and so on. This may seem like a lot at first, but it will ensure each assignment is completed and ready for your return to real life.

Go to bed at a decent time: You’re probably thinking, “How am I supposed to unpack, do my homework, and get sleep all in the same night?” Trust me, you will be grateful for going to bed. Sleep is when your body relaxes and recovers. It is the period in which your brain sorts memories and experiences, and your body is able to repair itself. Not only will this help you get back into a rhythm for your week back, but it will allow your body to begin retaining any information for the homework you’ve completed.

Don’t skip classes your first day back: This probably seems like the most obvious, but can also be the most difficult, especially when you live on such a gorgeous campus like we do. Skipping class on the first day to sleep a little longer, or go out in the sun for an extended break is not going to help you get back in the mindset for the rest of the semester. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to romp around Kappa field, but now is the time to buckle down and finish the year strong!

The year is almost over, and there is so much more fun to be had- you can do this!

Reagan is a junior at Eckerd College who hopes to work in wildlife conservation ,and eventually become an environmental lawyer. She is majoring in Biology & Environmental Studies and minoring in Coastal Management and Sustainability. Some of her favorite things include hiking, spending time with her family, and any activity on the water.