Simple Ways to Save Your Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Eckerd chapter.

Have you noticed your hair thinning? What about large clumps coming out while you’re in the shower? Do you get “hair pain” or gnarly split ends? Well here are some tips and tricks to getting healthy hair, and maybe even help with longer fuller locks!

Don’t Shampoo Your Hair Everyday: Now this one you probably hear all the time, but it really is important. Most shampoos have harsh chemicals and sulfates in them that create the lovely smells and fun bubbles.  The additives in the shampoos often dry out your hair and strip it of the natural oils that promote follicle growth and protect your hair from the outside elements.  Start out washing every other day and eventually your hair will become used to the new schedule- don’t be discouraged by the initial excess oil production!

Don’t Be Afraid of the Scissors: If you’re trying to grow your hair out, cutting it is necessary! Get a healthy trim about every 6-8 weeks to get rid of split ends and keep your hair holding shape and body.

Try to Avoid Using Hot Tools Daily: This one probably seems a bit hard, I know, we all have those morning where we wake up, look in the mirror, and head right for the straightener or curling iron. These wonder tools not only make our hair manageable, but also can fade color treated hair and fry your ends. Remember to use heat protection spray when you bust out the tools, but also try to avoid using them on a daily basis.

Switch Up Your Hairstyle: I don’t know about you, but my long hair is a constant bother and with the Florida heat usually ends up in a ponytail or high bun by lunchtime.  The high buns, tight ponies, and French braids on a day-to-day basis are pulling at your roots! This constant pulling and pressure is actually making your roots and hair follicles close up and produce thinner or no hair at all. Switch the position of your styles, let your hair hang down for a day, or try a new accessory that doesn’t cause as much “hair pain” (like those scrunchies that were all the rage in the 90’s- Throwback!).

Sleep: This one may seem easier said than done for a college student, but sleeping and reducing stress ifs not only good for your hair- but your whole body.  Sleeping, more specifically the REM cycle is when your body is able to relax and recover. Without sleep your body is not able to repair itself, which can lead to hair loss.

I hope these simple ways to keep your hair healthy were helpful. Keep your hair happy and healthy!

Reagan is a junior at Eckerd College who hopes to work in wildlife conservation ,and eventually become an environmental lawyer. She is majoring in Biology & Environmental Studies and minoring in Coastal Management and Sustainability. Some of her favorite things include hiking, spending time with her family, and any activity on the water.