Work Experience: A Week in an Independent Bookshop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

This summer, in a plight to learn more about the publishing industry, I carried out some work experience at The Suffolk Anthology, Cheltenham’s only independent book shop. Aside from spending a week in absolute book heaven, surrounded by beautifully stocked bookshelves, it was also really informative and useful.

Helene, the owner of the bookshop, was the sole reason for why this placement was so great. Unlike most work experience placements, where you stuff envelopes for two weeks and then put in on your CV, Helene actually took the time to try and teach me everything that she could. It is as a result of Helene’s dedication that I would advise people who are looking for a work experience placement to try and find somewhere that is really keen to have you and wants to actually teach you something. It may be impressive having a two-week placement at a big fancy company listed on your CV, but it will certainly be less than impressive when an interviewer asks you what you learnt during your time there and you have no response!

So, what did I actually learn then? Ultimately, my understanding of how booksellers and independent bookshops fit within the publishing industry grew immensely. I saw from the perspective of the bookseller the ways in which they interact with publishing houses, from receiving emails and catalogues to building relationships with sales reps. This gave me significant insight into the fundamental question of how and why booksellers choose to stock certain books. I learnt that booksellers have to not only consider price and shelf-appeal but also things such as the themes within each book and the specific tastes of their customers. 

My work experience with Helene also reinstated how important the independent bookshop is within not only the publishing industry but our wider communities as well. The Suffolk Anthology provides a community hub for a region of Cheltenham as lots of workshops, events and reading groups are held there.

I absolutely loved my time at the Suffolk Anthology and although I can’t say that I know what I want to do after university for definite, my work experience this summer certainly helped me come somewhat closer to making this decision. 

Image Credits:

www.theanthology.co.uk

www.theanthology.co.uk

Taken by the author