free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What’s The Hardest Thing About University?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

‘The highs are high… but the lows are low’ – A frank look at the university experience through the eyes of a learned fresher.

University. Let’s consider the connotations for a second. Partying, pasta, and all-nighters. Translated into Durham speak; Klute, potatoes (unless you live in Butler), and visits to Billy B. But what about the other side? Deadlines? Housing? Finances? No one ever mentions these before you get here… either way, it’s a steep learning curve, which begins on the first day of Fresher’s.

I spoke to several freshers from various colleges, about what they felt was the hardest part of university… their answers may surprise you…

Housing. ‘Before I arrived at Durham, words like Gilesgate, Claypath and the Viaduct were previously words I had no understanding of. Now, I am well acquainted with these parts of Durham, and I think I’ve visited pretty much every house within each vicinity.’ Organising second year housing was undoubtedly pretty horrendous for many freshers, and I have yet to find someone who found it a fun or rewarding experience. Patronising estate agents, who and how many to share with, rip-off rates, it’s a stressful experience from start to finish.

Parents. Weirdly, I think we worry about them more than they worry about us! But, seriously, being away from home is hard. Throughout school, we all had someone to lean on, and support us through those difficult times, so it’s tough coming to a completely new place, and taking on a degree, without them right by our side (but that’s why FaceTime’s amazing – Am I right?!)

Workload. University actually involves quite a bit of work. Summative season is truly upon us, and the numbers in the library are increasing day by day. Being told by the library that the book you need for that summative has already been taken out (and recalled four times) seems to be a perfect example of how unorganised your life currently is. Unlike college or sixth form, there isn’t someone constantly telling you to do work – so often finding the motivation is the toughest bit. No lectures or seminars equals a free day? Right?

Lack of sleep. Please enjoy this incredible quote from a student when I asked what caused her lack of sleep: ‘Necessary social activities in the evening, which are often associated with the process of drinking fluids and loud music’ – quite possibly the most beautifully Durham quote ever. But on a serious level, university is just exhausting – fun – but exhausting. It literally never stops, there is ALWAYS something going on.

Finances. ‘Budgeting just isn’t fun’, says it all really. Learning that overdrafts are not our friends is also just as hard, and realising that once it’s gone – it’s gone – is a tricky concept for many financially unskilled freshers. Rationalising everything in terms of ‘but university is about the experience’, sadly doesn’t always, literally, add up.

Although, stay positive – it does get better, upon asking a second year the same question, the answer was slightly different: ‘Definitely Tesco Value Loo Roll, it doesn’t get any worse than that’. It’s all about perspective I guess.

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!