you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things We Want To See In The Billy B

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

Durham University’s Bill Bryson library, more commonly known as the Billy B, sounds like an impressive building with over 1200 study spaces, periods of opening 24/7, and its recent renovation under the £60m Gateway complex. However, despite its practicality and rich resources, the library falls down in other, arguably more crucial, areas.

For instance, the Billy B maintains the appearance of a dull and depressing prison block. An ugly and dark structure, the library’s exterior is enough to sap that last ounce of motivation to revise that you’ve spent hours conjuring up. Glimpsing your fellow students, heads down and suffering in silence, through the small windows lying between layers of uninspiring brickwork fails to present the prospect of joining them as an attractive option.

Instead, if the University took inspiration from the vastly more impressive libraries worldwide, students would be far more likely to visit (if only to get a closer look). For instance, Ottawa’s Library of Parliament is a hugely more attractive destination with its grand Victorian High Gothic architecture, or, equally aesthetically-pleasing, the futurist Geisel Library in California (named after Dr Seuss and his wife Audrey) has an exterior unique enough to make you want to venture inside.

It would also be great if the Billy B had a more attractive interior to entice students within and in reach of its books. For example, Durham could compete with the stunning ceilings popularly found in other institutions such as the Old Library at Trinity College Dublin with its raised, barrel-vaulted roof, or Strahov Abbey’s Rococo ceiling belonging to its Theological Hall. And, furthermore, if the incredible design proved to be a distraction and resulted in more students looking up than at their work, state of the art coffee machines could easily be located on all floors to maintain concentration through the magical power of caffeine and the proximity of mug to paper which aids the reading process.

Moreover, there would be no signs forbidding students from eating or drinking within the library, but rather messages encouraging them to eat enough and remain well hydrated. After all, the building exists as a place for study and, without snacks and coffee, it is doubtful that much productive studying would actually take place. Students could even redeem free drinks as a reward for checking into the library a certain number of times, or else the minutes spent searching for your campus card just in order to be granted permission to enter or leave through the mechanised doors are simply a waste of time.

More unique features would also serve to effectively advertise the Billy B, such as a rolling library ladder to provide easier access to the higher shelves (merely for practical purposes and by no means entertainment), or the option of studying in a more relaxed and comfortable area somewhat resembling the Gryffindor common room, complete with a carpeted floor, huge fireplace, and snug armchairs. The University’s clear dedication to the Wizarding World, as seen through the Education department’s ‘Harry Potter and the Age of Illusion’ module, suggests that this idea really has the potential to flourish. And, if the theme caught on, why not introduce a “restricted section” to add some drama and mystery to the otherwise monotonous environment?

Although a demand that would potentially only be welcomed by a small minority of students, Durham could even follow in the footsteps of the Mafra National Palace Library in Portugal and adopt its own colony of small bats to roost behind the bookcases and eat all book-damaging insects during the night, thus guaranteeing the simultaneous satisfaction of both bats and librarians. Despite the predicted opposition to deliberately introducing a swarm of flying, rodent-like creatures to the University’s main study space, the quality of the library’s stocks would undoubtedly be maintained, thus benefiting all.

Therefore, although already a successful library home to nearly every book you could possibly need and plentiful spaces to work in a quiet and calm environment, it is clear that the Billy B could really benefit from a makeover and some new, innovative ideas.

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!