nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My Resolutions for 2017

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

The festivities are behind us, the Christmas decorations have been taken down and for many of us we’ve started thinking about resolutions that we can make for the coming year. I have compiled a list of my resolutions for university this year:

1. Explore more of Durham

Having lived in Durham for almost two years now, I still feel that I have plenty of the city left to explore, including Beamish Museum, the Botanical Gardens and I’d love to go on a Durham Cathedral tour. I’d also like to broaden my horizons in terms of discovering the local countryside. The University Hill Walking Group provides an ideal opportunity to do this, with recent trips including Hadrian’s Wall and the Peak District. Alternatively, a walk down the river is always a welcome study break.

1. Spend more time in the Billy B

Most likely a resolution for most Durham students, I am hoping to spend more time in the Bill Bryson Library this year seeing as second year results are so vital. Failing that, the vast array of smaller and quaint college libraries provide a more relaxed atmosphere to study in.

1. Sample more independent coffee shops

Whilst chain coffee shops such as Costa are fab in their own right (I live for their festive specials), I am so keen to explore Durham’s vast selection of independent coffee shops. Not only can they provide more unique specialities, it is also a good thing to support small business within the local community. My personal recommendations include Claypath Delicatessen, Treats and Velvet Elvis-be sure to try their peanut butter milkshake!

1. Join more societies and clubs

Although already a keen member of several university societies, I am keen to fully explore the range of options available to us as students. Whilst the Fresher’s Fair provides an ideal opportunity for this, the Refresher’s Fair in January is useful for those who wish to pick up a new hobby or discover a new group or society they may have missed first time round. Some exciting and unique groups include Assassin’s Society, Baking Society, Knitting Society and Belly Dancing Society.

1. Take time for myself

With the hectic lifestyle of University, it can be easy to forget to take some time for yourself to relax and unwind. It can be difficult to say no to the constant social events at university, but I am determined to make sure that I make some time each week to relax with a good book, pamper and Skype friends from home.

1. Immerse myself in other cultures

Being a languages student, next academic year marks the start of my year abroad. I am keen to immerse myself as fully as possible into French and Spanish culture, hopefully through studying as an Erasmus student at a university and carrying out an internship or work placement within a company. Time will tell what activities the inevitable year abroad will bring, but I for one am excited for the opportunity to travel and experience other cultures firsthand.