Her Campus Durham’s Favourite Winter-Warming Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

What better on a cold November night than everybody’s favourite comfort pud, brought to the 21st century with a bang-on-trend cupcake twist! If you’re still experiencing the end of Bake Off blues like I am, these are perfect to eat your feelings with. These cupcakes are sticky, syrupy and oh-so-sweet; guaranteed to go well with a cup of hot chocolate and some Christmas tunes (roaring fire optional).

Ingredients:

For the cupcakes:

• 180g dates, pitted and chopped
  • 180g self raising flour
  • 1 tsp bicarb of soda
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 80g unsalted butter, softened
  • 150g light muscovado sugar (I used demerara)
  • 2 eggs

For the salted caramel icing:

• 160g butter, softened (you could use unsalted or salted here, just remember to adjust the salt levels later on!)
  • 200g icing sugar
  • Caramel or dulce de leche (you can make your own, or I used ½ tin of Carnation’s caramel)
  • Salt to taste
  • Splash of vanilla extract

Also:

• Cupcake cases
  • Icing bag & nozzle (or a sandwich bag with the corner snipped off)

Method:

1. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 170ºC/350ºF/gas mark 4. Place your cupcake cases into a cupcake tin.
  2. In a heatproof bowl, pour 180ml boiling water over the dates and leave to soak for 20 minutes. Then, with a fork, gently break up the dates and stir in the vanilla.
  3. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and set aside.
  4. Cream together the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy.
  5. Add the eggs gradually, beating between each addition – if it looks like its curdling you can add in 1 tbsp of flour.
  6. Lastly, fold in the remaining flour and then the date mixture.
  7.  Spoon into the cupcake cases and bake for 15–20 minutes (the tops should spring back when pressed with a finger). Remove and leave to cool.
  8. Whilst your cupcakes are baking, make a start on the buttercream. Cream the butter and icing sugar until entirely combined and lump-free and add the caramel or the dulce de leche.
  9. Mix together and add a pinch of salt to taste.
  10. Put the buttercream into the piping bag and pipe it on to the cakes, or spread it on with a regular knife.
  11. Mix up a little more caramel and salt and drizzle over the top (you can warm this for a few seconds in the microwave to make it easier to drizzle).

Enjoy!