A Durham Egg Hunt: Where To Get Your Eggs This Easter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

It’s that time of the year again where the shops begin to fill their shelves with delicious chocolatey eggs, crammed full of sweets and surprises. Just because you’re technically a little bit too old for surprise egg hunts down the bottom of the garden, this doesn’t mean you should miss out completely on these festive treats. Whether you’re partial to a Thornton’s chocolatier egg or never deviate from a Cadbury’s classic, here’s my roundup of the best places to get your Easter eggs in Durham.

Tesco– Probably your first port of call in the course of your egg hunt, Tesco do some standard supermarket deals on eggs this year- but don’t prepare to be wowed. The Durham Tesco extra store stock an average range of Cadbury classics, and with a large Dairy Milk or Mini Eggs egg on offer for £4, it does have a few deals (I then proceeded to unfortunately knock over said column of eggs). However, for a better bargain its worth having a look in Iceland, or for a more unique and interesting egg, check out M&S’s Easter egg range.

M&S– If your student loan is burning a hole in your pocket, or you’re in the mood to treat yourself after handing in that essay, M&S’s fantastic Easter eggs are really worth every penny. I was in awe of their 900g (yes, that’s almost a kilogram) giant chocolate bunny- which will set you back a not so great £20- and their Giant Cosmic Egg (Gold dusted with Dulce de leche filled golden spheres) is literally a chocoholics heaven. However, at a whopping £40 for the cosmic egg, it’s probably worth sending loads of hints to your parents or boyfriend first.

Poundland– If you fancy giving yourself or your housemates a festive treat to alleviate the stress of summatives, Poundland is a good place to go if you can’t quite to afford to splurge on an M&S or Thornton’s egg. They stock a great selection of small sized eggs, including Cadburys, a Minion’s one, Star Wars, Milkybar and Smarties; all at the tiny price of (you guessed it) £1.

Thorntons– You really can’t go wrong with a Thorntons Easter egg, and if you pop in store you won’t be disappointed by their fab Easter range this year. As well as their standard milk and white bunnies and eggs, they also sell tempting ‘chocolate fudge brownie’ eggs and the unusually flavoured ‘lemon meringue’ white chocolate egg. They also do some good mix and match deals, starting at 2 for £6 on their smallest eggs and ranging up to 2 for £30 on their whoppers. And let’s be honest, even if you’re not considering buying an egg this Easter, it’s still worth going in store for the free chocolate samples.

Iceland– We all know mums go to Iceland for the frozen delights, but Easter eggs? It seems like an unlikely place, yet they do a surprisingly good range. Great for value, Iceland stock golden chocolate bunnies similar to Lindt’s famous rabbits, yet at only a £1 each, they’re a real bargain. They even sell Thornton’s ‘Harry Hopalot’ rabbit £3 cheaper than Thornton’s actually do themselves. With your standard size Cadbury eggs going for £3.50 and large eggs priced at only a fiver, Iceland is well worth a visit if you’re on the hunt for a bargain egg.

Happy hunting!

I am currently in my final year of studying English Literature at Durham University, England. I am hoping to become a journalist in the future, but in the mean time, I enjoy cheerleading, fashion and travelling, and of course, being the editor of Durham's Her Campus!