Charities in Need of Your Help this Christmas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Durham chapter.

The town-gown divide in Durham is real.  Many of us fail to see beyond the bubble of student wealth and privilege.  Yet the North East is one of the areas of the UK most in need of government investment and additional support from local charities.  Keep reading to find out how you can make a difference to our local community.

DASH – Durham Action on Single Housing

You will have probably noticed the increased visibility of homelessness around Durham this year.  Vulnerable people with no shelter are especially at risk during the Winter months. 

Find out more about donating, fundraising or even volunteering for DASH Durham here.

Changing Lives

As a national charity with a branch in Gateshead, Changing Lives recently won the prestigious accolade of North East Charity of the Year.

Every month the organisation provides support services for 6,000 vulnerable people and their families, focusing on issues relating to homelessness, unemployment, addiction, abuse and mental health.

Check out the blog to find out more about the charity’s work.

Gregg’s Foundation

Based in Newcastle, the Gregg’s Foundation organises projects supporting the environment, local communities, vulnerable people and primary school children (Breakfast Clubs).

Your favourite place for a sausage roll evidently offers much more than that.  Find out more here.

West End Women and Girls Centre

Since 1981 this charity has offered support and a safe space to local women, girls and families.

“Our Safe 4 Life and Teen Safe 4 Life courses aim to support victims and survivors of domestic abuse through an empowering program of group activities and one to one work.”

Activities offered include gardening, fitness and cookery.  See the website for more information.

St Cuthbert’s Hospice

“There was always a cuddle, a cup of tea and words of kindness. Nothing was ever too much trouble as you all helped us along our emotional journey.”

With services for in-patients, families, children and dementia sufferers, St Cuthbert’s Hospice is a truly admirable charbitable organisation.

Apply to be part of the team here.

And many more…

Check out the shortlist and winners of the North East Charity Awards 2017 to discover more local charities in need of your help this Christmas and beyond…

Northern lass studying French and German (minor in Spanish) at Durham University, recently returned from a year abroad