Y-OOHHH-GA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Have you ever tried yoga’s all-encompassing healing power? Going beyond the basic stretches, it also improves health, heals aches and pain, and even prevents sickness. While the pace of your usual yoga class may seem slow, the steady execution of the movements is actually extremely relaxing, toning and reassuring.

Yoga is considered “strength training.” It forces you to use your body and core to move from posture to posture. The asanas, like Crow, Crescent, Warrior, and Plank, not only speed up the release of certain hormones, but also build muscle. So in an easy-paced class, you’re actually using your core a lot, sweating more, and getting an even better workout than expected!

Vinyasa yoga, or Hot Yoga, is becoming increasingly popular among celebrities, royalty, and athletes. It is a more vigorous form of yoga done in a studio that is heated up to 105°F and consists of demanding, well-controlled postures. The poses and the heat are designed to raise heart rate and give your muscles a full-blown workout.

Feeling stressed or overwhelmed with schoolwork and other life-straining problems? Yoga is perfect for college students because it helps release less tension-triggered cytokine, a type of protein that can make you feel tired and moody. It also helps raise levels of the brain chemical GABA, which lowers chances of depression.

So next time you’re looking for some lightweight, yet strengthening workout, give yoga a try! At first it may be a little difficult, but with some practice and gradual loosening of muscles, it just gets easier and more rewarding! Free yoga classes are currently offered at Brodie and Wilson, so be sure to check them out! Upon leaving the class, you will feel happier, healthier, and stronger, so why not?!

Freshman at Duke University! Born and raised in Miami, Florida, I love coffee, working out, tennis/ any water-sports, and trying new and exciting things!