alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Working Out Could Be Easier Than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Amidst all of the other responsibilities of college, sometimes it’s hard to find the motivation to go to the gym. Don’t fear, it’s easier than you think to find reasons to go the gym, and there are also ways to sneak in exercise throughout the day.

To motivate yourself to get up and go to the gym, consider the following:

Bargain with yourself. Tell yourself (out loud if you have to) that you cannot do a certain activity until you go to the gym. This tends to work better when you are looking forward to that activity, rather than when it is just something else to procrastinate. For example, it is more effective to tell yourself that you can only watch another episode of your favorite show after you’ve worked out, than to tell yourself you can only do your math homework after you’ve worked out.

You could also put a twist on the previous tip, and use working out as a break from your math homework. Or use it to avoid doing even more undesirable activities, like laundry.

Rewarding yourself is another way to stay motivated in the long run (pun completely intended). If you meet your workout goals for, say, three weeks in a row, allow yourself to buy cute new workout clothes. You’ll want to head back to the gym next time to show them off.

And on that note, remember, you might meet your future husband at the gym.

For those times when you really can’t get to the gym, there are easy ways to sneak exercise into your daily routine.

Getting into your lofted bed provides options for the type of exercise you get. The running leap is a good cardio exercise, while the grab-the-other-side-of-the-bed-and-drag-yourself-up really works your core muscles. Don’t forget that these exercises are most effective when done in repetitions.

There are plenty of times each day when you have to walk up a flight or two of stairs. Instead of dragging yourself up each flight, think of it as a convenient and unavoidable exercise for your glutes and focus on working those muscles.

When you take a bus with standing room only, consider it an opportunity rather than a burden. Try out various stances and grips to work different sets of muscles.

For a final tip that will make you look really cool, too, do some bicep curls with your backpack as you walk across campus. All the boys will stare.