The Stages of Pulling an All Nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

10:00pm

Looking at the clock on my computer, I realize that I will have to stay up all night to write a paper due tomorrow.  I immediately decide to scout out a perfect spot in the library and drink some coffee immediately.

11:30pm

After grinding out an hour of solid work (a.k.a. the introduction), I realize I’m getting no where and decide to take a short break.

11:35pm

Okay, while I’m already distracted I might as well go through my Facebook newsfeed.

12:30am

How is it already past midnight? I panic and shut down the Instagram, Twitter, Tumblr, YikYak, and Snapchat apps that I had been sucked into after getting bored on Facebook.  Okay, now its time to be productive.

2:55am

Perfectly caffeinated and not yet exhausted, I have completely peaked.  I’ve found zen-like focus and am already halfway to the required word count.  Pandora has stopped playing music to ask if I’m still there and I barely even notice.  I’ve definitely earned a five minute break.

3:40am

I close out of Youtube after watching seven Jimmy Fallon videos in a row.  That Emma Stone lip synch battle really is absolutely fantastic.

4:00am

SO. TIRED. No matter how much coffee I drink or candy I eat I literally cannot stay awake.  A ten minute power nap is in order.

4:50am

I have hit a wall.  I wall I have hit.  A wall has been hit by me.  I realize with only a page left, that I literally have nothing else to say.  This is due in three and half hours and I can’t think of another word.

5:10am

SO. HUNGRY.  I need food!  And coffee, that also sounds good right now.

5:30am

Maybe its the coffee or the the resulting rush of energy but I’ve somehow managed to get back on track.

6:30am

Oh look, its the sun.  That’s actually kinda nice.

7:20am

It’s done! It’s a masterpiece! Ok the latter is definitely false, but its words on a page and definitely not the worst thing I’ve ever written so I’m happy.  I print out the result of this long night and hurry back to my room to change before class.