Spring is all about brunch! Check out the Top 5 Spots Around Campus!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

Spring means great weather, beautiful green grass and colorful flowers! Everyone is getting more relaxed and heading outside to enjoy the sunshine during our last few weeks together. What’s a great way to enjoy this laid-back atmosphere? Through brunch, of course!

The term “brunch” was said to have originated in 1895 by a Guy Beringer, a British man who enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday morning. He wrote, “Brunch is cheerful, sociable and inciting. It is talk-compelling. It puts you in a good temper, it makes you satisfied with yourself and your fellow beings, it sweeps away the worries and cobwebs of the week.” And I agree, who doesn’t want to sleep in and wake up to a meal of both breakfast and lunch?! So, thank you Guy Beringer for encouraging us to change the ways of the traditional separate breakfast and lunch and combining them into a delectable meal adored by all.

Marketplace brunch is fine on occasion, but there are only so many times one can hit up the yogurt bar. But, luckily for us, Durham has some GREAT brunch spots close to campus. So, when you’ve finally had enough of the Marketplace–which may have already happened (so I apologize for not saving you sooner)—here is a list of delicious brunch locations that you can enjoy right here in Durham!

1.     Rue Cler-FRESH BEIGNETS (Yummm), Parisian inspired salads, sandwiches, and crepes. There is definitely something for everyone.
2.     Parker and Otis-They use fresh ingredients to prepare eggs and sandwiches. This is the place to go if you want to do some eating and also a little shopping; the restaurant is adjoined to a cute little store with old-fashioned games, gifts and fun decorations for any room.
3.     Nasher Café- The Nasher is conveniently located on Duke’s Campus, which means food-points are accepted! Great food and atmosphere. Try checking out the art while you’re there too, especially the Alexander Calder exhibit, so you can make an extended afternoon out of your brunch outing.

4.     Foster’s Market-Their food is always house-made and changes seasonally. They have a Cinnamon Vanilla French Toast with fresh fruit that sounds absolutely amazing. Or try the Peanut Butter and Banana Bagel that if you’re feeling nostalgic for those “lunch-box” days. If you want a lighter breakfast, they also have house-made granola with fresh fruit and yogurt!
5.     Fairview Dining Room-A great option for those of us that will have leftover food-points at the end of the year. There options range from oatmeal to lump crab cakes, which makes this choice perfect for both breakfast and lunch people!

And after you enjoy a delicious brunch, check out what else you can do to enjoy the beautiful spring days!
Click here! http://www.hercampus.com/school/duke/how-have-fun-sun-around-campus

Sources
http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food/2011/05/the-birth-of-brunch-where-did-this-meal-come-from-anyway/

Image Sources
http://cdn.thegloss.com/files/2012/03/717.ft_.x491.jpeg
http://artobserved.com/artimages/2008/07/calder_jpg.jpg

Sabrina is a Junior at Duke University, and is double majoring in English and Public Policy. A born and bred South African, Sabrina has traveled to the USA to pursue her higher education. As well as being a member of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority, Sabrina is also Assistant Vice President for Recruitment for the Panhellenic Association at Duke. Sabrina has written for Duke's daily newspaper, The Chronicle and Duke's fashion magazine, FORM. After graduating, she hopes to attend law school preferably in her favourite city, New York. In her spare time, Sabrina vegges out to various fashion blogs, mindless TV (Pretty Little Liars anyone?) and online shopping (which borders on an addiction). If you manage to catch her in an energetic mood, she's probably on her way to cardiodance (or to the nearest mall).