timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Sophie’s Declassified Freshman Survival Guide

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

It’s hard going away to college. So here are some of my tips to help you other first-years!

via: Love, Me Photography.

1. Make your room cozy and home-like!

Honestly, this is super important when moving into your dorm for the year. Having somewhere that feels calm, cozy and safe is crucial as you transition into college life. For me, this meant to have some fuzzy blankets, comfy decorative pillows and plenty of pictures of my friends and family. Having a nice, homey space to come back to after long days and fun nights definitely helps to make the adjustment a little easier.

via: giving.duke.edu

2.Talk to everyone and sign up for everything!

Remember, every other first-year student is also hoping to make friends and find their place as a part of the Duke community. Don’t be intimidated by others- just say hey! I have found everyone at Duke to be so warm and welcoming, and trust me, everyone is in the same boat trying to make new friends! On a very similar note, take advantage of all of the amazing opportunities Duke offers to get involved in various groups and activities. Not only are clubs and organizations a great way to meet people, but it’s also great to have some stress relievers to look forward to.

via: Our State Magazine

3.Get to know your professors!

I know that this seems scary. At first, I thought it would be too. However, Duke professors want to get to know you. Building some relationships with Duke faculty is not only a great way to meet some incredible mentors, but, especially for me, it helps me feel a lot more tied to the Duke community as a whole. Duke hires some incredibly interesting people and you should take advantage to the opportunity to make connections with them!

via: CNBC.

4. Keep in touch with your family and friends from home!

So. Important.

Staying in touch may be hard logistically because of busy schedules, but it is definitely worth it. For me, talking face to face with my friends and family can brighten even the worst days. Luckily, even though there are hundreds of miles between us, they are really just a FaceTime call away. Plus, it is so nice to be updated on your friends’ lives and what is going on in your family!

via: Fitness Magazine.

5. Don’t be afraid to take some “you-time!”

One of the hardest parts about college for me is that I feel like I constantly have to be “on.” Whether it is to hang out with my friends, to do school work or to attend an event or meeting, it was initially tricky for me to find time to really relax. I quickly realized that finding time to have to yourself is truly important for your emotional health. So much is happening, at pretty much all hours of the day; it’s definitely worth taking a break sometimes to rest and relax.

via: Rebel Circus.

6. Lastly, it’s totally okay to have emotions; don’t feel the need to hide them or bottle them up!

The transition to college can be hard.  For everyone. At no point in the transition to college should you feel alone or isolated, even if you feel sad or overwhelmed. At every school, and Duke especially, there are many resources at our disposal in these emotional moments. Not only do first years have plenty of advisors, but the Wellness Center also offers numerous supports. If you don’t want to go to the Wellness Center, I believe that finding an outlet for these emotions is critical. Talk to a friend, participate in a sport or find an activity you are passionate about. Most importantly, remember that everyone your year is making the difficult transition to college: you are by no means alone!

I am currently a freshman at Duke University hoping to pursue Neuroscience and Global Health. Some of my passions include tutoring and mentoring children, especially young girls. This is my first year writing for Her Campus!
I am a senior at Duke University, majoring in art history and minoring in political science and psychology. Outside of class, I love traveling, watching films and writing. I'm excited to be Duke's campus correspondent this upcoming school year!