This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

I’ve noticed that sickness is perpetual here. Everyone around me is sick or complaining about getting sick or recovering from being sick. And I’m sick of it (haha).

But in all seriousness, why is the freshman plague still going around? I’ve made some observations in the past week (playing a game where I count the number of coughs in the room per class). I’ve also come to a horrifying realization: there are quite a few people who do not wash their hands.

The inspiration for writing this was watching three people in the bathroom leave their stall and not wash their hands. Maybe I’m missing something, but why wouldn’t you want to wash your hands? In a study by the American Society for Microbiology, it was found that “a single gram of human feces—which is about the weight of a paper clip—can contain one trillion germs.” And when you don’t wash your hands and then touch a doorknob or someone else or your eyes, nose, and mouth, it not only gets you and others sick. It’s just really gross.

via: The Rocky Mountain Collegian 

So, for those three people I saw in the bathroom or for anyone else you see around campus, here is a guide on washing your hands by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that you can share:

1. “Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.” So far so good.

2. “Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Be sure to lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.” Important.

3. “Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds. Need a timer? Hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.” Or sing it out loud.

4. “Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.” A good step.

5. “Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.” And now you’re done.

So if you would like to avoid getting sick or getting everyone around you sick, PLEASE wash your hands. Thank you.

Anna Markey is a first-year student and first-time writer for Her Campus. She's interested in studying Political Science and is passionate about human rights, advocacy, and coffee.
I am a senior at Duke University, majoring in art history and minoring in political science and psychology. Outside of class, I love traveling, watching films and writing. I'm excited to be Duke's campus correspondent this upcoming school year!