6 Market Place Health Hacks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

1)   Loaded yogurt

As they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day–especially when that day entails taking on orgo and the C1 during a rainy class-change. So do your body some good and skip the pancake line, which you’ll regret when the sugar high wears off before you even step into lecture.  Yogurt is a great alternative if you crave something sweet in the morning, or don’t have time for the omelet line. According to Fitness Magazine this super breakfast food can also keep your abs flat and keep colds away! I like to load my bowl up with non-fat vanilla topped with sliced bananas, strawberries, and a shake of cinnamon.

2)   Granola – don’t be fooled

Granola is one of those tricky health foods that you think is healthy but may actually be just as bad as a “Duke” waffle with syrup. The Daily Mail claims that a bowl of granola can have more sugar than a Coke and more fat than fries (ahhh, so that’s what makes it taste so good)! So if you’re craving cereal, you may be just as well off opting for a bowl of Lucky Charms! Of course everything is fine in moderation, so a few clusters on top of your yogurt or froyo won’t do any harm (hey, it’s better than crushed Oreos!.

3)   Skip the stir-fry line

Loaded with veggies and protein, how bad can it be? Well…

Teriyaki, Curry, and General Tso sauces are all packed with the big three: sugar, salt and saturated fats, and Wilson tends to be generous with them! Instead of braving the stir-fry line, hit up the pasta line instead if you want some sautéed veggies and protein! Opt out of the pasta, and you’re left with a true stir-fry made in a much lighter vegetable oil (and often with a much shorter wait)!

4)   Vegan ≠ healthy

The vegan/vegetarian/gluten free line is always my first go-to, but don’t be fooled, these labels are not synonymous to “healthy.” I like this line because of the range of flavors available in the different tofu dishes, curries, and grilled vegetables, but be mindful of what else they have to offer. A “vegetarian” pasta dish is still just a pasta dish- they’ve simply clarified that there is not meat in it. And a cheesy “gluten free” quiche or casserole is still cheese-filled. Don’t let the labels deceive you.

5)   Froyo is your friend

Or at least I like to tell myself that since I end every evening with a heaping bowl. Luckily, it’s easy to rationalize! If you’re like me, and need something sweet at the end of your meal, fat free froyo is a much better alternative to red velvet cake or apple pie. And guess what, believe it or not, the ‘yo’ in froyo stands for yogurt, so you’re secretly getting all of those yogurt perks mentioned earlier!

6)   An apple a day…or 5

I take the cellophane wrapping on the apples as a full invitation to take them to go, whether MP staff choses to admit it or not. Grabbing a handful of apples and bananas is a great way to store up on afternoon snacks to keep in your room or in your bag throughout the day. And don’t forget to grab some peanut butter packs as well (in a jar by the salad bar…for whatever reason) for some protein during your class change.

Now take these handy health tips, and go show the Freshman 15 whose boss!

Duke class of 2019 Writer and blogger for Montgomery County Newspapers Writer and blogger for Your Teen Magazine Writer for FlockU