10 Things You’re Going to Miss About Duke, Inspired by #whatshouldwecallmeduke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Duke chapter.

#whatweshouldcall me and all its derivatives have quickly become my new favorites because I just feel like they really understand me (yes, I realize how sad that is). With the end of the year right around the corner, we are all getting nostalgic about all the monumental, shameful and hilarious times that we had this year. Everything you do becomes your last. The last time you wake up in an unknown man’s bed, the last time you take a whole pizza to the face in 20 minutes, the last time you get walked in on by your roommate and the last time you pull an all-nighter in your favorite place, Perkins. Over the summer, it always seems to be the little things you miss most about Duke. The little things that we take for granted and overlook everyday (sorry, that was a little bit too heartfelt). Therefore, I decided to take inspiration from Duke’s #whatweshouldcallme to give you 10 examples of things that you’re going to miss about Duke over the summer. 

1) Taking the bus.

Nothing makes going to your classes better than watching the last bus that could get you to class on time casually pulling away. Watching other people sprint to catch the bus while wearing their backpacks is hilarious. When it’s you, it’s demoralizing. You have to temporarily suspend your self-respect and go for it. Karma’s a bitch.

2) Marketplace brunch.

Marketplace brunch is the one and only good thing about the freshman meal plan. Nothing cures a hangover better than being surrounded by an all-you-can-eat buffet. It’s one of the only places where it’s not only acceptable to get seconds and thirds, but also encouraged. Freshmen, take advantage of it while you can. Next year you’ll have to shell out the big food points for WaDuke brunch.

3) SHOOTERS

It’s the place where miracles happen. It’s where Karen Owen found inspiration, it’s where the owner friends everyone on Facebook (and may or may not stalk you), it’s where you are encouraged to dance on the bar, and where people will still hook up with you despite how sweaty and gross you look by the end of the night.

4) Getting sexiled.

There’s no better surprise than coming home to pass out for 12 hours and walking in on your roommate and her boyfriend doing unspeakable things you didn’t think were even possible. You can’t un-see something like that no matter how hard you try. Bet you got some great sleep on the common room couch!

5) Getting a study room, and it being the highlight of your sad, sad life.

We’ve all been there. In fact, you might even be there right now as you slave away in Perkins. Maybe you’re giggling to yourself because you were Leo enthusiastically sprinting to successfully stake said claim to a precious study room, or maybe you’re bitterly reading this because you’re stuck on one of those big desks with the library police shooting you dirty looks because you made the slightest noise. If you ever get a study room during finals week and it made your day, cherish it because this is the last time in a while something as lame as a study room will be the highlight of your day.

6) Theme parties.

Whether you are a freshman, or a seasoned veteran of Duke theme parties, theme parties never seem to lose their appeal. Over the summer, when you’re digging through your sports bras and stumble upon those sexy silver spandex, don’t be surprised if you have a little emotional moment.

7) Your partner in crime.

Everyone has one. Everyone has that one friend who you always get in trouble with. Whether it’s egging each other on to take another pull, slap the bag again, or shot gun another beer, when you both become each other’s only source of encouragement this summer, you’re going to reminisce on all those times when you and your sidekick got black out side by side.

8) Waiting in line for 20+ minutes for LoYo.

I’m convinced LoYo laces their frozen yogurt with something that keeps idiots like myself waiting in line for over 20 minutes for a $4.25 cup of frozen yogurt. I mean, are we really that desperate to solve our craving for Hun-Cal Froyo? If you haven’t seen this LoYo music video made by one of our own Campus Cuties, then you are missing out.

9) Awkward drunk hookup stories.

Hearing awkward hookup stories is probably one of my favorite college past times. Somehow every time I think a story can’t be outdone, one of my friends swoops in with another one of epic proportions. Despite the fact that over the summer, you and your friends are prone to have some awkward escapades, these seem to lose their appeal when you don’t get to personally witness the two people awkwardly interact afterwards.

10) Having someone to drink and go out with everyday.

The first time I visited Duke, a guy came up to me and told me I was stupid to not come to Duke because “it was the only top ten school that you could get hammered 6 nights a week” (direct quote). Although your grades might not turn out so spectacular if you go out 6 nights a week straight, every once in a while we all need a good Sunday or Tuesday night out after finishing a big paper or test. When you go home for the summer and your friends are less than enthusiastic about popping open a casual bottle of wine on a Tuesday night before your internship, don’t be surprised if you find yourself taking the whole thing to your face alone.

Want more?

Betty Liu is a senior at Duke University where she is majoring in Biomedical Engineering.  Although her main interests lie in bioengineering, she loves keeping up with the latest trends on Duke's campus. Also, she enjoys learning about new music, reading and travelling around the world. One of her life dreams is to go to all seven continents! So far, she has been to four.