Meditation
Meditation
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.
Declutter your space

Pick one drawer or space to clean in your apartment/house. If you do this every day, you will have a clean house and a clear mind. Turn on some music or a favorite podcast and begin the decluttering process. 

A study at Indiana University found “that people with clean houses are healthier than people with messy houses.” So, keep your house clean and stay healthy! 

Do something creative

Anything from coloring, to painting, to sewing, to playing the piano, to creating collages. Pick a creative activity and dedicate at least 15 minutes of your day to it. This activity will help ‘stretch’ your brain and will (hopefully) be something you look forward to throughout the day. 

For instance, I started doing ‘paint by numbers’ a few weeks ago and every day I try to spend at least 20 minutes painting. The canvas is finally coming together, and I cannot wait to see the final product. 

Set the limits

If you have a lot of homework to do or a long essay to write, work for 45 minutes on the task at hand (set a timer), then take a 15-minute break to eat, watch a YouTube video, or paint. Keep this structure going until your work is done (or until you’ve had enough). Trust me when I say that the time flies by when you’re working hard.

Take time for yourself in the morning

I asked my roommate what helps her find peace––she said that she gets up every morning, walks into our kitchen, and makes herself a cup of tea. It centers her, calms her down, and helps her to start her day on the right foot. Grab your coffee or tea and take a quiet minute to yourself before the rush of the day begins. If you don’t care for coffee or tea, maybe try downloading a meditation app such as HeadSpace to get in a few silent minutes each morning. 

I am a Senior at the University of Denver studying Communication Studies, Marketing, and Writing Practices. I love photography, exercise, reading, and trying new foods. I am currently one of the CC's here at HCDU.
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.