The Three Most Important Topics Surrounding Sexual Assault

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Sexual assault. We hear about it all the time. Maybe even so much that the reality of it gets lost in the words. At the University of Denver, all freshman are required to attend a skit during orientation week highlighting this heavy issue. Most of these freshman, myself included, don’t quite realize the extent at which this issue would affect a large amount of those sitting in that lecture hall as they embark on their college journeys.

There is no question that sexual assault is a problem affecting thousands upon thousands of college students nationwide, and while this issue doesn’t solely regard to women on campus, the statistics demonstrate that it is surely affecting more women than men. According to One in Four USA, “one in four college women report surviving rape or attempted rape in their lifetime.”

This number is staggeringly high and is repeated across a variety of sources. In a study done by The Hunting Ground Film, undergraduate women have between a 1 in 10 chance and a 1 in 6 chance of experiencing rape or attempted rape in college. If these numbers aren’t shocking already, RAINN reports that women aged 18-24 in college are three times more likely to experience a form of sexual violence than all women.

Now, this article isn’t being written just to throw statistics at you. This article is being written as a cry for help. Just two quarters into freshman year, I have already heard countless stories about women being sexually assaulted on DU’s campus. The statistics are being proven right here on the campus I call home. It breaks my heart.

Women and men alike are educated on the risks of sexual assault, ways to avoid being put in a situation where sexual assault is possible, and given lists of hotlines and other resources available to help in the unfortunate circumstance it happens to them. Clearly, this isn’t enough.

There is no easy solution to this massive issue, but there are many ways both sexual assault survivors and others can take a stand. Keep reading to learn ways to prevent sexual assault from happening, help those experiencing the pain following assault, and help yourself in case this happens to you. 

How to prevent sexual assault from happening

One of the widespread models used to describe ways to prevent sexual assault is the Social-Ecological Model. According to the Center for Disease Control, this model “considers the complex interplay between individual, relationship, community, and societal factors,” which all play a role in our lives and can put us at risk for sexual violence.

As an individual, you have been raised with certain beliefs and have experienced a variety of things that alter the way you see the world. The first step to preventing yourself from being put in a situation where you may be at risk of sexual assault is to educate yourself on the issue and learn key life skills, like self-defense, for example, that make you better equipped to handle such an issue.

Our close relationships with others can easily influence and increase our risks of being a victim or perpetrator of sexual assault. Learning how to properly solve conflict and build healthy relationships with those around us can prevent sexual assault.

The community, specifically the school we attend, where we work, and the neighborhood we live in, also plays a key role in preventing sexual assault. As college students, this may arguably be one of the most influential areas to focus on when learning prevention strategies. The social and physical environment of our college campus deeply impacts sexual assault cases; for example, if one feels they have been sexually assaulted, and nothing has been done about it, this gives perpetrators and victims a reason to believe that this type of violence is okay at their school. The CDC believes that providing prevention strategies at this level can “reduce isolation, improve economic and housing opportunities in neighborhoods, as well as the climate, processes, and policies within school and workplace settings.”

Finally, societal and cultural norms greatly influence prevention. This is a very broad category, and certainly not as easy to change, but as college students, it is important we are aware that it exists and do more to learn about the ways it impacts each of us personally. While this model is certainly not the only way to prevent sexual assault, it provides us a good way to start thinking about ways we can better teach ourselves and those around us how to avoid being both perpetrators and victims of sexual assault.

How to help those impacted by sexual violence:

It is never easy to hear a friend or loved one say they have been violated in any way. Learning how to better help them in this situation is essential. The Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape has put together a wonderful guide for friends and family of survivors of sexual assault. Some of the suggestions they give in order to help your loved one include:

1. Remain calm and believe the victim when they tell you what has happened to them.

2. Give the victim control in making decisions about what they should do next.

3. Assure the victim they have your support.

4. Avoid making threats about the suspect; this may only cause the victim to worry.

5. Encourage the victim to see a counselor.

6. Allow the authorities to deal with the assault; this is not something you are responsible for and confronting the suspect or investigating the problem may put you at risk.

These are only a few of the suggestions the guide makes to responding to someone who has told you they have been sexually assaulted. On top of these, it is important that you recognize that it may take time for the victim to heal, and learning about the emotional, psychological, and physical responses that they may undergo throughout their healing process and how to help in the case they experience things like PTSD or depression is important.

What to do if you have been sexually assaulted:

Being a victim of rape or any other form of sexual violence can be very difficult (to say the least); so, it is important to know you are not alone. Seeking proper help is extremely vital.

There is a National Sexual Assault hotline at 1-800-656-4673, and if you feel uncomfortable talking on the phone, there is also an online chat service offered by RAINN. In addition to this, it is important to learn the rights available to you depending on where you live. Calling a rape crisis center in your area or even seeking help from someone you trust on campus to figure out what exactly these are is a great step to getting the help you need.

If contacting authorities seems too daunting, at least tell a family member or a friend you trust. What you went through was most likely extremely traumatizing and there is no doubt you are going through a very difficult time. Let them help you. You are not alone.

Sexual assault is not a phrase we should let become lost in our minds; it is real and it is happening right here on our campus. Please, share this article with your friends, and educate yourself in the issue. It may not seem like much, but it could change a life.
Hello! I am one of the Her Campus DU Campus Correspondents! I am majoring in Psychology with minors in Chemistry and Criminology with the hopes of becoming a Forensic Psychologist someday! I joined Her Campus to be able to get my voice out there, as writing is one of my utmost passions. Some of my favorite things include Jesus, my family, and learning new things.