Sam Short: Puppy Trainer Extraordinaire

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Sam Short is one of the coolest people I know. She’ll always make you feel welcome and won’t take no sh&t from nobody. Today, I got to chit chat with her about her last years here at DU, her adorable dog Juno, and the expereince they’ve had on campus together. 

Where are you from?

I’m from Vancouver, Canada. (That’s cool. So you’re cold? Haha). Yes! I’m always cold.

What’s your year? Major? Graduation date?

I am a Psych and French double major. I’m a junior and I graduate next year!

How did you find Juno?

She came from a friend. I trained her to do service dog work. Unfortunatly, she has dog reactivity issues; she’s not agressive but sometimes she’ll have small fits when other dogs are around. But she’s very friendly with people. Her best friends are German Shepherds, Border Collies and Huskies. 

What kind of a dog is she?

She is a Shar Pei Shepherd mix. And I’ve had her for 8 months. 

How did you become inspired to start dog training?

I qualified to have a service dog, but instead of going through an organization or company that trains service dogs I decided to do owner training myself. Juno has really gotten used to her environment as a result. 

Do you think this process, of having a dog on campus helped you?

Yes- I gained a lot of patience- like if (the dogs) get sick and can’t take care of themselves. If it’s 3am, you have to take them outside. Like a child. So, I gained a lot of respect for my mother. A lot. (Haha!)

What’s DU’s policy for dogs or animals allowed on campus?

Animals are not allowed in classrooms unless they’re service dogs- this is becaus of the American Disability Act.  And because Juno is retired I can’t bring her in. Emotional support animals are not allowed in class. The difference between the two is the emotional support animals do not perform tasks. DU does requre a doctors note to basically prove that you have a disability and require a service dog. 

Are you asked questions about this a lot?

Yes. Is this dog a service dog? And, what do they do to mitigate your disability? It’s also important to know that you don’t need any official legally recognized certificiate of training for either a service animal or an emotional support animal. You’ll know when they’re trained when they can sit still, sit quietly, when they don’t vocalize and when they’re not scared and can heal properly. 

What are your plans for the future concerning training?

I’m getting a new dog, Clyde. He is coming from a program, so he’s fully trained. He’s a three year old lab mix. Juno is up for adoption on account of her now being an emotional support dog for me as opposed to a service dog. She need somewhere with a yard. People who run would love her. She’s great with kids. 

Aside from Juno, what’s something you want people to know about you?

I work at the Towers front desk- it’s the best. And I joined Chi Omega this quarter and I’m very happy! 

Goals for the next year? Heading anywhere new?

Goals? Take a year off. Save some money and then work with animals. Might go to Cali (but might stay in Denver too!)

Additional ADA information liinked here!

Elle Wagner is a sophmore this year at the Univesity of Denver and is a double major in International Relations and Communication Studies with a minor in French. She works as a model for Wilhelmina International and enjoys to travel, eat lots of cheesecake and spend time with her Dutch Family in Den Haag, Holland. She is super thrilled to be a writer for Her Campus and is always looking forward to the next piece she gets to write! HCXO