This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

We live in a time where we think that we will be worse off if we miss classes than if we stay home and take care of our health. At this time of year, we all know that the cold is making its rounds, and none of us want to catch it. If you get sick and come to class, you’re likely only making it worse for yourself. School is stressful, and stress does not make you feel good. Take a day and stay home and rest.

I used to be all about school all the time, and I’ll admit that I’ve gone to classes when I was sick before. One day last year, I actually threw up about an hour after waking up, but I had three classes that day, and attendance was part of the grade for all of them. So, I brushed my teeth and went to class. And let me tell you, I felt like shit the whole day, by the time I got to my third class that afternoon, I was lightheaded and even more nauseous. I had to have my mom come pick me from school because I couldn’t drive home (I lived with my parents then).

I don’t know all (or any) of the science behind illness and additional stress, but I do know that the two combined only make me feel worse. I’ve chilled out a lot about school, and I know now that no grade is worth sitting through class sick and feeling like crap.

I also know that when someone comes to class sick and sits anywhere near me I’m pretty salty, because I don’t want to catch whatever they have. For the love of everyone’s health, just stay home for a day or two if you get sick!

I am a senior at the University of Denver double majoring in International Studies and History. I love to read, write, and knit. Being a part of HerCampus is great because I get to write about important and fun topics that have absolutely nothing to do with my coursework.