Life > Experiences

The Language of Kindness: Some Tips & Tricks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

The language of kindness is a universal one, yet throughout our lives, we are always learning the grammar and etiquette of it all. 

Kindness can be something as simple as holding the door for someone behind you, or it can be a grand gesture like sending a friend flowers in the mail. 

But, lately, with the pandemic still in full swing, it can be difficult to show acts of kindness. Sometimes, you can’t tell if someone’s smiling beneath their mask, and it’s kind of impossible to hold a door while maintaining 6 feet of distance. So, to keep spirits high, I’ve compiled this short list of acts of kindness anyone can do, regardless of the pandemic. 

Compliment someone!

There’s nothing quite as satisfying as complimenting someone and seeing their face light up, right? Or, on the other end, receiving a compliment can be the one thing that turns a crappy day into a decent day!

Buy someone lunch or coffee!

With current technology like Venmo or CashApp, it’s so easy to send a friend some money with a note telling them to treat themselves! Or, you could go in a drive-through lane, and pay for the person behind you! A small gesture like that can really help, since you never really know how someone’s day is going. 

Send someone a text!

You don’t have to initiate a complex conversation, but something small like “Hey, I’m thinking of you” is extremely considerate! Or, if you don’t have anything to say, send them a meme or a TikTok. The smallest things really make the biggest difference!

With these unprecedented times, everyone could use a little more kindness, so why not start here? 

Hi, I’m Zoe! I am a sophomore at DU studying English and I’m from Colorado Springs, CO. I love reading and writing, listening to music and attending concerts, and hanging out with my family!