This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Ah, friends, that most wonderful time of the year is upon us once more.

[To the tune of “The Most Wonderful Time of the Year,” please:] With its bright, song-filled greetings, and P-N-M meetings, when you hear the call . . . It’s Sorority Recruitment season – it’s Fall!

Over the next few days, girls from all walks of campus will hit DU’s red brick paths in search of their future sisters.

Though my tone might suggest otherwise, I really do catch the wave of excitement and anticipation that washes over this weekend. So much-so that I was even considering last-minute registering for Recruitment just yesterday afternoon . . . even though I’ve already embarked on this ride. Uh, multiple times, in fact – and even all the way, once.

That’s right – like the title says, ya girl was a #srat star for a hot minute. And, it’s kind of a funny story.

So, in the spirit of the season, let’s look back at sophomore-year Kira and her own twisting journey through the realm of sisterhood.

It all started in the summer of 2016, when something on the breeze instilled a spontaneous whim in me to go through Fall Recruitment. As a well-seasoned and more self-assured second-year – or so I thought – I wasn’t even phased by the fact that I would be standing amongst first-year girls also vying for the acceptance of the numerous chapters. At some level, I was really doing it all just to see what would happen.

To my surprise, after several long days and frigid nights of toeing around in heels and (I hope) charismatically delivering my elevator pitch to a myriad of girls from each of the Panhellenic organizations, I found myself with several offers – bids? – from chapters that I had clicked with.

Yet, there I sat – the night before the illustrious bid day, slouched in one of the chairs of Davis Auditorium, mulling over my options while girls around me strode confidently down to the front to accept their invitations.

After what was probably a ridiculous amount of time spent just looking around for some sort of answer, I came to the decision that it probably just wasn’t the right move for me. For one thing, I was already a sophomore with a tightly established friend group. And, on top of that, I reasoned that I was not exactly in any sort of financial position to be pledging myself to a sorority. I knew that I wasn’t really going to lose anything if I dropped out.

And so I slipped away into the evening, only to watch with a slight twinge of regret as hundreds of girls rushed Driscoll Green (and Instagram, let’s be real) the next day into the arms of their new sisters. There was glitter, there were smiles – it looked extravagant.

Shortly thereafter, though, I was back in my lane, doing A-Okay. One could even say “thriving at DU.”

Even so, it was but a 6-week Winter Break before I found myself charmed once more by the sparkly appeal of sorority.

I returned to campus and was promptly mixed into a special Winter Recruitment (smaller and less intense than the big Fall one) for one of the Panhellenic chapters. Seriously, I just went full send.

Without all the added pressure and spectacle from Fall, I felt like this time around things might actually come together.

However, there was maybe some miscommunication – or, like, I really just don’t get how these things work – because what I thought were chill interest/informational meetings were actually more along the lines of the process to join. Before I knew it, I was with my apparent pledge class, surrounded by all the sisters of the sorority and being asked to sign my name in their book of membership. Imagine my surprise!

Honestly, this whole part of the story is so cringy to me because there’s definitely still a picture of me with the “new Winter pledge class,” posing with the letters and everything on their Instagram. And, of course, my name is penned in ink forever, so. . . yikes.

All of the girls were just so nice and they were smiling and I couldn’t just walk out! I just – I have to laugh.

Understandably, at this point of signing my real name and being historicized on camera, I realized that I was really quite far in and that maybe I had made a mistake – been a little hasty.

Now, trust that I did give the experience a chance. I tried to see past the heightened energy and mania of initial recruitment and attend the New Member Education meetings to see if it could be my home.

But, in the end, despite incredibly sweet girls and laudable goals and values, I knew that it just wasn’t resonating with me. And, yes, maybe such things take time; but when I already had a substantial number of other activities and groups that I was more readily and deeply invested in, I just couldn’t half-heart another (that I’d have to pay for).

So, after maybe 2 or 3 weeks of being the sorority girl of my dreams, I did what was realistic for me and fair to everyone involved and I dropped . . . again.

Call me noncommittal (you’re right) or indecisive (no doubt), but this was one decision I felt sure about and that I can stand with in confidence. Yes, it was difficult because I did make friends along the way and I am in perpetual anxiety about disappointing others, but I learned an important point of who I am and what I want.

Plus, your local #girlgang doesn’t have to be a sorority – and maybe it’s not as far away as you think.

All of this being said, I do want to wish all the ladies going through Recruitment this weekend a fun, exciting adventure! And though you’re still early into your college career and just starting to navigate who you are outside the context of your home and family, my best advice is to run with opportunities that feel true and organic to you and don’t be afraid to say no to them if they aren’t.

Hello, hello! My name is Kira, and I am from Fort Collins (FoCo), Colorado. I am a double major in Sociology and Media Studies, with minors in Spanish, Leadership, and Writing - I'm really out here doing the most. When I'm not doing schoolwork, I enjoy lounging in the afternoon sun, drinking dirty chais, and/or making music or art! I'm always happy to connect with new people, so if you like what I have to share, please feel free to reach out!