photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Get With the Program: Who is DUPB?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Have you ever imagined bobbing around in a massive, rainbow-colored ball pit on Driscoll Green under the warm May sun? Would you ever dream of a cozy horse-and-carriage ride making a galloping loop around campus on a chilly winter evening? Could you picture a magical evening of wizarding and “butter beer” under the twinkling stars and towering Hogwarts-esque spires of DU’s skyline?

Well, hello! We’re the Co-Presidents of the University of Denver’s Programming Board, and we’re here to make all of those wishes – and many more – happen for you, DU!

What exactly is the University of Denver Programming Board?

The University of Denver Programming Board (DUPB) has seen a lot of life at DU (we’re 107 years old this year!). DUPB is one of the oldest and largest student organizations present on campus. With various events occurring weekly, our club is responsible for programming campus-wide events that foster school spirit and promote campus culture.

And the best part? – Almost all of our them are open to all Undergraduate students – for free! Food Trucks? FREE. Bouncy Castles? FREE. Succulent decorating? FREE. Movies? You guessed it – FREE!

With six different committees, DUPB has and does a little something for everyone. Here’s a breakdown of what each committee plans, along with some past events:

Classics: Programs regularly occurring events

• Breakfast Club every week 6 (mark your calendars!); movies; open-mic nights

Marketing: Promotion of all DUPB events

• Managing social media, flyers/posters, creative tactics

Music: Keeps the beat on all the hip new jazz  

• MusicFest, Battle of the Bands

Outreach: Connects DUPB to the rest of the student organizations through partnerships

• One Day for DU, Annual Lacrosse Tailgate Cornhole Tournament, Day of Action

Special Events: Responsible for our one-of-a-kind events

• An Evening at Hogwarts, Rail Jam, Monsters Rink, Pumpkin Palooza

Traditions: Plans the traditions of campus

• Winter Carnival – Horse & carriage rides; Chili Cookoff; Rest & Relaxation Night
  • May Days – Hoedown Throwdown; Beach Bash; Magic Night
(Winter Carnival 2018 – Photo by Connor McKeen)

What is your favorite event that you’ve worked on?

Kira Pratt, External President: I’m definitely proud of every event I’ve gotten to work on, but I think that my favorite – by far – was the 2017 Chili Cook-Off. That’s one that had formerly been a long-standing part of Winter Carnival Week, but fell off the map somewhere along the way. I worked on a team with Kate and Montrell Nickerson to bring it back, and the turnout was absolutely awesome! We had quite a few teams of students, staff, and faculty that signed up to compete, and we had about 300 people show up to taste some delicious chili recipes. Ya gotta love the spirit of competition and the bonus of good food.

(Left to right: Kira, Kate, Montrell – Photo by DU)

Kate Karayannis, Internal President: My favorite event would be the Hoedown Throwdown that Kira, Montrell, and I planned for May Days two years ago. There was a barbecue, line dancing, tons of hay (literally, a ton), and a petting zoo. While some things didn’t go according to plan (we all know how May weather in Colorado can be), we made the most of our event and had fun every minute of it.

Why did you join DUPB?

Kate: I joined DUPB my second year because I felt my life at DU was missing something special. The club offered me a place to be creative, to take risks, to really be myself. I wanted to be part of something that was truly bigger than myself and impact the University in a positive way.  DUPB gave me the space to continue my passion towards personal and professional growth while giving back to my community and making some of my best friends in the process. DUPB is such an integral part of my college experience and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Kira: I also joined DUPB as a sophomore because I had decided that I wanted to be much more involved on campus. By that time, I had already joined some other organizations on campus, but DUPB seemed special to me in that it’s really hands-on and in the heart of the DU community. It gave me an opportunity to do something that was so out of my normal scope of extracurricular activities and to be creative in a new and different way. Plus, the idea of planning what basically amounts to massive parties for your friends and peers sounded so cool! I’ve learned so much about myself and our student body and University throughout my time on the board, and it’s definitely one of my favorite groups that I’m a part of.

Why is it important to have clubs such as DUPB on campus?

DUPB and other organizations like it are vital to campus culture and community. Student orgs that really make an effort to reach everyone in the student body are so important. DUPB offers students a space to hangout and create lifelong memories in low-pressure environments. Offering such diverse programming to a large student population promotes an inclusive, inviting campus that welcomes anyone and everyone – and we mean everyone! It’s one of the few outlets or opportunities we have to bring such different people together for one common cause. Our club is able to extend across different demographics and partner with other clubs to help cultivate a sense of community and common cause. Whether you love shredding the fresh powder in Keystone, or you prefer carefree crafting at our Canvas & Mocktails event, DUPB will be there.

Anything else I should know?

One of the biggest things is that we are here for YOU. We’re your programming board, so if there’s something you really want to see, we want to hear about it! Reach out to us on social media, swing by our office in The Hub, or add to our suggestion box to share some of your fresh ideas!

[Also, please remind your friends that the “PB” stands for “Programming Board” and not “peanut butter” or “Princess Bride” or anything else. Also-also, it refers to event, not computer, programming].

How can I join?

DUPB is always looking for enthusiastic new members who have big ideas that they want to bring to life on campus! We will review applications several times throughout the year, so it’s never too late to join!

Check our social media or email us directly for more information about applying.

Stay in the know with our upcoming events:

Facebook: @dupb1

Instagram: @dupb1 (@kira.marie & @k_kateeee)

Snapchat: @dupb1

Email: dupb1exec@gmail.com

Hello, hello! My name is Kira, and I am from Fort Collins (FoCo), Colorado. I am a double major in Sociology and Media Studies, with minors in Spanish, Leadership, and Writing - I'm really out here doing the most. When I'm not doing schoolwork, I enjoy lounging in the afternoon sun, drinking dirty chais, and/or making music or art! I'm always happy to connect with new people, so if you like what I have to share, please feel free to reach out!