Divest DU: Bringing Change to Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Divest DU, one of the most prominent organizations fighting climate change on campus, has been around since 2015. From asking administrators such as Chancellor Chopp to address divestment to participating in local rallies, Divest DU has been active in fighting for the University of Denver as a whole to divest from fossil fuels. Her Campus DU was able to speak to two members of the organization’s Core Team to find out a little more about what they do. 

Names: Lily Gross and Erika Sobelman

Majors: Psychology and Geography

Years in School: Junior and Sophomore

What is Divest DU?

We are a student organization aiming to have the university divest from fossil fuels and gain transparency with the university’s administration.

Why was it founded?

Divest was founded to put pressure on the university to address what we believe is the most pressing issue of our time, climate change.

What issues are especially important to its platform?

We are dedicated to environmental, social, and political justice. As the university’s mission statement is, “A Private University Dedicated to the Public Good,” we want to make sure the University of Denver upholds this statement.

What are some of the activities you do during the school year?

We act as a bridge between the administration and the students. We also host educational events for students to learn more about university initiatives and climate change issues in general.

Why is it especially important to have clubs such as Divest DU on campus?

Clubs like Divest DU are important for holding the university accountable for what students want.

How can people get involved?

Come to our events and sign our petition!

Divest DU’s core team meets Tuesdays at 6:00pm at the Korbel Beans Coffee Shop. Contact them via Facebook and check out their other social media. 

Facebook: @DivestUniversityofDenver

Twitter: @DivestDU

Instagram: @divest_du

Claire graduated with a business degree in hospitality management from the University of Denver in 2019. She was a Her Campus DU Contributor from 2015-2017 and led as Co-Campus Correspondent from 2017-2019. Her favorite hobbies include drinking coffee, writing, tweeting, and attempting to learn Mandarin.