6 Ways to Get Ready for Swimsuit Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Yes collegiettes, it is that time of year again – when the clothes come off and you have to be ready to take all those Instagram-worthy photos. While winter supplied us with the heavy sweaters and layers on layers, those itsy bitsy bikinis won’t be leaving much to the imagination. Here are six ways to get prepared for all those days in the sun:

1. Cut the unnecessary calories.

While wintertime snacking gave us the fuel we needed to keep warm, hibernation season is over. Try cutting some of those extra calories. Opt for a salad instead of a cookie, and replace the sodas and caramel coffees with some refreshing H2O!

2. Try on last year’s clothes.

That’s right. No more hiding those short shorts, it’s time to pull them out and try them on. If they feel a little tight then it’s goal setting time. Before spending money on new clothes think about what you can do to fit into the old ones. This will save you cash and just think how good you’ll feel when those shorts slide on effortlessly. Plus who doesn’t like a good-ole homestyle fashion show!

3. Sit out in the sun.

While you’ve been cooped up inside all winter long, so has your skin. It’s time to let it see the sun! A good tan will have you looking summer-ready in no time. Take your books and work outside, whether it be in the soccer stands or Driscoll Green – your body will love you for it. Just be sure to wear that sunscreen! While everyone likes a good tan, burning is not the way to do it!

4. Hit the gym.

This might be the hardest one, but if you want that beach body you have to work for it. Take advantage of all that Coors Fitness Center has to offer. Don’t be afraid to add some weight training along with your elliptical circuit, and ask for the class schedule at the front desk! They have everything from Zumba to Spinning. If you aren’t one for the gym, it’s never a bad idea to hit Wash Park!

5. Go outdoors.

There are so many more body-working activities outdoors. Colorado is the place to be when it comes to outdoor adventures. Go on a hike, ride a bike, take a walk around a park, you name it. For you out-of-staters keep in mind that Olympians come here to train because of the high altitude. Get in shape here and you will be running circles around all of your friends at home!

6. Find a Fitness buddy.

Everything is more fun with a friend! Pick someone who is going to keep you accountable and who will do the hard work with you. A mile run goes by way faster when you have someone to talk to. Same goes for food. Keep each other in check! Sometimes it takes more than self-control to resist some of the treats our dining halls have to offer. 

Born and Raised in Colorado, Annie is currently pursuing a degree in Journalism from the University of Denver. She enjoys writing and reading in coffee houses, binge watching Food Network, traveling and learning to love the imperfections.