10 Things Your Rho Gamma Wants You to Know by Sophia Sterling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at DU chapter.

Rho Gammas are the Orientation Leaders of Panhellenic Recruitment. Each Rho Gam team is in charge of a group of girls going through recruitment. During the actual process, they’re in charge of leading them to the individual sorority houses and helping girls fill out paperwork. Beforehand, they hold information sessions for girls going through formal recruitment and promote the Panhellenic community to the campus as a whole. Going through Panhellenic recruitment process can be stressful and daunting as well as fun and exciting. Either way, your Rho Gam is here for you and ready to help you make the best choices for yourself!

Fourth year and Rho Gamma Sophia Sterling has some advice that all Rho Gams want you to know before and during the Recruitment process. 

1. Recruitment is super FUN!

Be positive – have fun with it! Don’t stress if a heel breaks or your dress rips, make it into a funny talking point while visiting the chapters – they are people too and will understand.

2. Your Rho Gammas are here for you.

They have been training and getting ready for you for a few months now. They are here for you so use them as a resources.

3. Disregard previous opinions.

DO NOT go into this weekend with any preconceived expectations for the chapters. Feel it out and find whichever chapter feels right to you, not the one other people think you should be in. An open mind makes the entire process easier on you! 

4. DO NOT listen to the chitter-chatter.

You probably have heard different chapter stereotypes from other girls, fraternity men, professors, etc. They are anything but true. Form your opinions based on your own choices and experiences. 

5. EVERY SINGLE CHAPTER is home to many different types of girls on this campus.

There are going to be nerds, partiers, blondies, brunettes, stoners, athletes, different majors, etc. in every sorority. 

6. The sorority girls are nervous, too!

The girls recruiting are probably going to be nervous too; however, they have been preparing and working so hard for this weekend and are so excited to meet you!

7. Your recruitment experience is your own. 

Remember that recruitment is a very individualized process for each woman who goes through it. Please do not chat about your experiences in each chapter to other girls in your group, as it could really sway their opinions in a way that could hurt their placement. Imagine if you came out of a house and LOVED it, but the person next to you started talking smack about it. That wouldn’t feel very good and might sway your opinion.

8. TRUST THE PROCESS!

I cannot stress this enough. Though you may have expectations of the chapters you’d like to end up in, the results of recruitment don’t always align with your initial preferences. Despite this, it works! You WILL end up in the perfect chapter for you, so just have trust. 

9. BE YOURSELF!

This may seem self-explanatory, but it’s so incredibly important. If you aren’t yourself during recruitment then you may end up in a chapter that isn’t the perfect one for you and then it will be too late – be genuine. 

10. BE COMFORTABLE!

Don’t wear heels that you’re going to break your ankles in – the chapters will be able to see your discomfort. Be comfortable, confident, and don’t stress!

Claire graduated with a business degree in hospitality management from the University of Denver in 2019. She was a Her Campus DU Contributor from 2015-2017 and led as Co-Campus Correspondent from 2017-2019. Her favorite hobbies include drinking coffee, writing, tweeting, and attempting to learn Mandarin.